Migrating from Novell to Windows 2000 server causes issues..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

All:

Hopefully someone has seen this before and can provide a clue.

We are currently migrating all of our user home directories from Novell 5
servers to Windows 2000 servers. The majority of our clients are XP and
Windows 2000 workstations using Outlook 2000. However, there are still a
number of clients using Windows 95/98 and Outlook 98.

After copying .PST files from the Novell home directory to the Windows 2000
home directory using a Windows XP workstation, users using the Windows 95/98
workstations get an 'access denied error' when attempting to open their .PST
folder from the Windows 2000 share. Windows 2000/XP clients are able to
open the .PST file normally. There are no special (read only, or otherwise)
attributes set to the .PST file, and the permissions are set properly.

Oddly, if we copy the .PST file from Novell to Windows 2000 using a Windows
95 client, Windows 95 clients are able to open the .PST file normally.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Grace <mark_grace@trihealth.com> wrote:

> After copying .PST files from the Novell home directory to the
> Windows 2000 home directory using a Windows XP workstation, users
> using the Windows 95/98 workstations get an 'access denied error'
> when attempting to open their .PST folder from the Windows 2000
> share. Windows 2000/XP clients are able to open the .PST file
> normally. There are no special (read only, or otherwise) attributes
> set to the .PST file, and the permissions are set properly.
>
> Oddly, if we copy the .PST file from Novell to Windows 2000 using a
> Windows 95 client, Windows 95 clients are able to open the .PST file
> normally.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on?

Difference between an NTFS access and a FAT access, perhaps? The share is
on an NTFS volume, I presume. Are you sure _all_ the share permissions are
set correctly?
--
Brian Tillman

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Thanks for the reply Brian.

We are sure - we're logged in as administrators and we still get the same
error. Admins have full control, and the user has modify.

Mark