Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My plan for AM2 X2 3800, please help

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 1, 2006 4:21:36 PM

Here is my plan

Asus M2V Skt AM2 Via K8t890
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Skt AM2
Maxtor 160GB IDE Hard Drive 7200RPM 8MB Cache
Kingston 2GB(2*1G) 533MHz PC4200 DDR2 DIMM
HIS ATI Excalibur 9250 128MB DDR DVI TVO AGP8x 64-bit
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Aluminum Front Bezel Black/Silver No PSU
LG GCC-4522B Combo Drive 16x DVD / 52x32x52 CDRW Beige

Is it reasonable? Any suggestions?
Could the dual channel of memory be opened? It is said that the system will crash frequently after openning dual channel of most 667M memory.

I don't play high-end games.
I want to
build my personal website on it.
run database with web server. Usually MySQL is enough
run java Application server
run VMware + Linux

More about : plan am2 3800

September 1, 2006 4:39:38 PM

might have a tough time gettin it to run without a PSU
September 1, 2006 4:53:24 PM

I have to suggest either 667 or 800 RAM, but other than that looks good.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 4:59:47 PM

make sure you get PCI-Express card
September 1, 2006 5:08:24 PM

Go with a Seagate or Western Digital with 16MB cache. Newer maxtors run really hot.
September 1, 2006 5:09:09 PM

Quote:
Here is my plan

Asus M2V Skt AM2 Via K8t890
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Skt AM2
Maxtor 160GB IDE Hard Drive 7200RPM 8MB Cache
Kingston 2GB(2*1G) 533MHz PC4200 DDR2 DIMM
HIS ATI Excalibur 9250 128MB DDR DVI TVO AGP8x 64-bit
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Aluminum Front Bezel Black/Silver No PSU
LG GCC-4522B Combo Drive 16x DVD / 52x32x52 CDRW Beige

Is it reasonable? Any suggestions?
Could the dual channel of memory be opened? It is said that the system will crash frequently after openning dual channel of most 667M memory.

I don't play high-end games.
I want to
build my personal website on it.
run database with web server. Usually MySQL is enough
run java Application server
run VMware + Linux


1) Don't buy anything with a VIA Chipset. VIA is garbage.
2) AM2 needs DDR2-800 RAM to operate at full potential. DDR2-533 will make your system 10% slower than S939.
3) Don't buy Kingston RAM. For AM2 the best brand is Corsair XMS2.
4) Look at the Seagate 7200.10 hard drives, they are faster and run cooler.
5) Like another poster said, with NO PSU this might be difficult to power on.
6) You are going to have problems with that AGP card, since new boards are PCI-E only.
September 2, 2006 6:10:00 AM

Quote:

1) Don't buy anything with a VIA Chipset. VIA is garbage.
2) AM2 needs DDR2-800 RAM to operate at full potential. DDR2-533 will make your system 10% slower than S939.
3) Don't buy Kingston RAM. For AM2 the best brand is Corsair XMS2.
4) Look at the Seagate 7200.10 hard drives, they are faster and run cooler.
5) Like another poster said, with NO PSU this might be difficult to power on.
6) You are going to have problems with that AGP card, since new boards are PCI-E only.


DDR2-800 + AM2 X2 3800 is more expensive than DDR2-533 + Core2Duo
September 2, 2006 3:02:35 PM

Quote:

1) Don't buy anything with a VIA Chipset. VIA is garbage.
2) AM2 needs DDR2-800 RAM to operate at full potential. DDR2-533 will make your system 10% slower than S939.
3) Don't buy Kingston RAM. For AM2 the best brand is Corsair XMS2.
4) Look at the Seagate 7200.10 hard drives, they are faster and run cooler.
5) Like another poster said, with NO PSU this might be difficult to power on.
6) You are going to have problems with that AGP card, since new boards are PCI-E only.


DDR2-800 + AM2 X2 3800 is more expensive than DDR2-533 + Core2Duo

You wouldn't want to buy DDR2-533 for Core2 either. At least 667 for Core2, 800 if you want to overclock.
September 2, 2006 3:31:49 PM

Quote:

1) Don't buy anything with a VIA Chipset. VIA is garbage.


About the motherboard
Is Asus M2N-E nForce 570 AM2 Motherboard better than M2V?

About the computer the first important thing to me is stable. I don't want to see the blue screen. I bought one Dell notebook one year ago and it never showed me the blue screen.

To me
50% time browsing on internet
30% developing java program, it need java IDE, web server, My Sql Server...
20% game

So I don't care if every part of the computer works 100% of its performance.

What I really care is after I put those parts together, will they work well or they will crash again and again.....

Thanks,
September 2, 2006 6:46:27 PM

Quote:

1) Don't buy anything with a VIA Chipset. VIA is garbage.


About the motherboard
Is Asus M2N-E nForce 570 AM2 Motherboard better than M2V?

About the computer the first important thing to me is stable. I don't want to see the blue screen. I bought one Dell notebook one year ago and it never showed me the blue screen.

To me
50% time browsing on internet
30% developing java program, it need java IDE, web server, My Sql Server...
20% game

So I don't care if every part of the computer works 100% of its performance.

What I really care is after I put those parts together, will they work well or they will crash again and again.....

Thanks,

yes! nvidia makes the best AMD chipsets there are.Period. No one will debate that :) .

M2N-E is vastly better than anything with a Via chipset.
September 2, 2006 8:56:44 PM

Quote:

3) Don't buy Kingston RAM. For AM2 the best brand is Corsair XMS2.


I investigated the manual of ASUS M2N-E.

Corsair is not in the memory list which is suggested by ASUS...
September 2, 2006 10:14:28 PM

Quote:

3) Don't buy Kingston RAM. For AM2 the best brand is Corsair XMS2.


I investigated the manual of ASUS M2N-E.

Corsair is not in the memory list which is suggested by ASUS...

Ask around the forums. Corsair is the brand that works best and has the least amount of problems for Asus and AM2.
September 4, 2006 4:35:43 PM

Quote:


Ask around the forums. Corsair is the brand that works best and has the least amount of problems for Asus and AM2.


Thanks a lot!!!

About the Corsair memory, is there a big difference betwwen XMS2 and Value Series.
September 4, 2006 11:25:46 PM

Quote:


Ask around the forums. Corsair is the brand that works best and has the least amount of problems for Asus and AM2.


Thanks a lot!!!

About the Corsair memory, is there a big difference betwwen XMS2 and Value Series.

Value Series is crap.. its contracted out to the lowest bidder. ALWAYS buy XMS2.
September 5, 2006 12:12:20 AM

For the kind of stuff you plan to do, you'd be better off with a refurbished system made of higher quality parts. It would cost much less than building new.
September 5, 2006 12:59:22 AM

Quote:


Ask around the forums. Corsair is the brand that works best and has the least amount of problems for Asus and AM2.


Thanks a lot!!!

About the Corsair memory, is there a big difference betwwen XMS2 and Value Series.

Value Series is crap.. its contracted out to the lowest bidder. ALWAYS buy XMS2.

My advise would be don't listen to all the crap that shadowduck is spouting. He must be employed by corsair or something. IMO XMS2 is a waste of money for what you will be doing.
September 5, 2006 1:02:23 AM

Quote:


Ask around the forums. Corsair is the brand that works best and has the least amount of problems for Asus and AM2.


Thanks a lot!!!

About the Corsair memory, is there a big difference betwwen XMS2 and Value Series.

Value Series is crap.. its contracted out to the lowest bidder. ALWAYS buy XMS2.

My advise would be don't listen to all the crap that shadowduck is spouting. He must be employed by corsair or something. IMO XMS2 is a waste of money for what you will be doing.

I don't work for any memory company, i am simply stating facts. Ask others on the board, you will find the same opinion.
September 5, 2006 1:20:54 AM

Quote:

1) Don't buy anything with a VIA Chipset. VIA is garbage.
2) AM2 needs DDR2-800 RAM to operate at full potential. DDR2-533 will make your system 10% slower than S939.
3) Don't buy Kingston RAM. For AM2 the best brand is Corsair XMS2.
4) Look at the Seagate 7200.10 hard drives, they are faster and run cooler.
5) Like another poster said, with NO PSU this might be difficult to power on.
6) You are going to have problems with that AGP card, since new boards are PCI-E only.


DDR2-800 + AM2 X2 3800 is more expensive than DDR2-533 + Core2Duo

You wouldn't want to buy DDR2-533 for Core2 either. At least 667 for Core2, 800 if you want to overclock.

Heres some more BS from shadowduck.

Actually DDR2-533 is faster for a non-overclocked Core2 than DDR2-667 because the RAM speed is sycronos to the FSB speed of 1066.
September 5, 2006 2:02:48 AM

Quote:

Heres some more BS from shadowduck.

Actually DDR2-533 is faster for a non-overclocked Core2 than DDR2-667 because the RAM speed is sycronos to the FSB speed of 1066.


I'd need to look at the benchmarks to be sure, but that doesn't sound as crazy as you seem to be letting on.

running memory 1:1 with the FSB yields better performance than asynchronously (3:2 for instance), the extra bandwidth given by ddr2 667 makes the difference hardly noticable or practically a deadheat between it and ddr2 533. in many benchmarks. Here is one article with some graphs showing how memory can scale at different frequencies.
http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2800&p=5

Anandtech has run other articles in the past illustrating the point but I'm too lazy to go dig them up right now. :p 
September 5, 2006 2:23:20 AM

Yeah sorry i was a bit lazy on my last visit too, but i've found some benchies to back it up...

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&ar...

For those to busy to follow the link...

"So it doesn’t matter much what memory speed/timings you buy, the value line will suit the Intel Core 2 system just fine, but do keep one thing in mind, as in our testing we found performance actually decreases a bit going from PC4200 (533) to PC5300 (667)!"
September 5, 2006 2:33:27 AM

lol, Okay I went back and re-read the post I responded to and realized you were making a statement about ddr2 533 vs. ddr2 667 rather than quoting a shadowduck comment . . . all sorted out now. :oops:  :p  :roll:
!