W2K auto scanning Dir Structure

For some reason, when I change directories in Win Explorer or change
directories when saving a file in any application, the system hangs for 10
or 15 seconds.

Any idea how to make it stop do a complete scan???

Win 2000 5.00.2195
SP 4
Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz
1 gig mem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

When I try to access the directory structure of my hard drives, I get a 10
or 15 second pause.

If I am in application and choose "save as" the screen pops right up but if
I click on the "save in" pull down, it freezes

If I open MS Explorer, select a hard drive and double click, there is a
pause.

It's like th ePC is freezing up, the hard frive is not accessed

Any idea how to make it stop doing this?

I have:

Win 2000 5.00.2195
SP 4
Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz