HELP - Partitioning once WIN 2000 installed

Hi,

I've just installed WIN 2000 onto a machine that had XP
and a 40GB hard disk that had 4 equal partitions on it.
During the WIN 2000 setup you get the choice to change
the HD setup. I therefore deleted the partitions in
order I thought to allow me two recreate 2 20GB
partitions. When trying to create the first it would not
allow me to choose the size of the partition, therefore I
had to go with the whole 40GB. The setup would not allow
me to further partitition C: so I am now left with drive
C: at 40GB.

Using disk management I thought I would be then able to
split up C: But this does not seem apparent? I now have
no 'un-used' space which is describes as being able to
partition...I only have C: which is the entire 40GB. Can
and how do I now split C: to create D: ???

Any asistance would be greatly appriciated.

Kind regards,

Gordon Smith

Hi, Gordon.

It's been over 3 years (since WinXP arrived) since I ran Win2K Setup, so my
memory is getting hazy on this, but I'm about 95% sure that you CAN specify
the size of the system partition to be created during Setup, although the
default is to use the whole disk.

The Win2K Pro Resource Kit tells how. As I recall, you have to read the
instructions very carefully in the early part of Setup; it's very easy to
miss to key point. Thus URL should get you into the proper page(s) of the
online version of the RK:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/prork/prdf_fls_pxjh.asp

Sometimes the links get me to the wrong page, but somewhere in that vicinity
you should find this...
"Note

"If you?re performing a new installation from an existing operating system,
Windows 2000 Professional Setup automatically selects an appropriate disk
partition, unless you click Advanced Options during setup and specify
otherwise. A hard disk can contain up to four partitions."

and this, under Sizing Disk Partitions...

"During setup, you only need to create and size the partition on which you
want to install Windows 2000 Professional. After Windows 2000 Professional
is installed, you can use Disk Management to make changes or create new
partitions on your hard disk."

Disk Management can do many things, but not to the system partition or boot
volume. It can create volumes and create new ones in their place, but it
can't resize an existing volume, making it either larger or smaller, or
split a volume. If you are not prepared to reformat your system partition,
then a third-party utility like Partition Magic is your only option.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX