Installing Softward

As computer administrator I am able to add software to my computer. How do I
get new software to be made available to all users? How do I prevent software
from being available to all users? Can I select the users that have access to
software as part of the installation process, or at another time?
--
ezzard
2 answers Last reply

    With regard to making applications available to other users, most
    applications weren't designed for this type of multi-user environment.
    Such applications need to be installed in each specific user's account to
    whom you wish to grant access.

    First, be sure the account to which you wish to grant access is set to
    administrator and not limited. Install the applications to the same folder
    in which it was originally installed. This will look the same as one
    install on your hard drive but create the pointers necessary for this user
    to have access to the application.

    Once the installation is complete, you can return the account to its limited
    status if that is what you want and the user should still have access.

    As to blocking access, assuming you are using XP Pro and given the type of
    environment you seem to be describing you should be using XP Pro, you should
    acquaint yourself with the Group Policy Editor:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307882

    Note: the Group Policy Editor is not available in XP Home Edition.

    It should also be noted, depending upon the application, the Group Policy
    Editor may not block access as the applications simply weren't designed for
    this type of environment.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    ezzard wrote:
    > As computer administrator I am able to add software to my computer.
    > How do I get new software to be made available to all users? How do
    > prevent software from being available to all users? Can I select the
    > users that have access to software as part of the installation
    > process, or at another time? --
    > ezzard

    It would depend entirely upon each specific software product that
    you install. A well-written application, properly designed for use on
    a multi-user OS, such as WinXP, will ask during the installation if it
    is to be made available to all users, or to just the user performing
    the installation.

    Additional steps may be required if the software was designed for
    Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
    designed. Quite simply, the installation routine for this application
    may not "know" how to handle individual user profiles, or the
    application may try to make changes to "off-limits" sections of the
    registry. Quite often, you can make this software available to other
    users by _copying_ the Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts
    from the user profile from which the software was installed in the
    corresponding folders in the user profile(s) in which you'd like the
    software to be accessible. If the application is something that
    can/should be made available to all current and future users, copying
    the shortcuts into the corresponding locations of the All Users
    profile will do the trick.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: