Unusually hot CPU readings from my E6300 Core 2 Duo

trackjacket

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I know this question has been raised a lot, but I'm not sure what to trust. I'm using a
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 motherboard and as stated previously E6300 Core 2 Duo with the packaging heatsink. At idle temperatures my BIOs was showing a temp reading of 60c, whereas Speedfan was showing 45-50c, and Core Temp was showing 60-63c. I only tested Speefan, but it was showing 75c at maximum capacity. Speedfan was also giving odd reports that the HSF was running at largely different RPMs. These could fluctuate anywhere from +4000 RPMs to -4000 RPMs at any given time. It would sit at 6600 RPMs then shoot up over a course of 5-10 minutes to anywhere from 15,000 to 24,000 RPMs when there was no visible or audible difference in fan speed. Anyway, I know the heatsink is notoriously difficult to properly seat but I'm fairly certain it's seated properly. The only issue I may have is that, when the heatsink was initially applied, I removed it because I couldn't get the computer to POST (realized I was using the unsupported OCZ PC6400 dual channel memory which was causing the problem.) So anyway, I removed the heatsink from partially dry thermal paste, and I dunno if taht would cause an issue or not because I've applied direct pressure to the heatsink with no visible results. When I touched the heatsink, it didn't feel more or less hotter than room temperature, so I can't tell what the case is. Any help would be appreciated, I dunno what to believe at this point.

trackjacket

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
That was my initial guess. Only issue is I don't have any thermal paste on me, heh. I'm gonna borrow some and see how it goes.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
I know this question has been raised a lot, but I'm not sure what to trust. I'm using a
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 motherboard and as stated previously E6300 Core 2 Duo with the packaging heatsink. At idle temperatures my BIOs was showing a temp reading of 60c, whereas Speedfan was showing 45-50c, and Core Temp was showing 60-63c. I only tested Speefan, but it was showing 75c at maximum capacity. Speedfan was also giving odd reports that the HSF was running at largely different RPMs. These could fluctuate anywhere from +4000 RPMs to -4000 RPMs at any given time. It would sit at 6600 RPMs then shoot up over a course of 5-10 minutes to anywhere from 15,000 to 24,000 RPMs when there was no visible or audible difference in fan speed. Anyway, I know the heatsink is notoriously difficult to properly seat but I'm fairly certain it's seated properly. The only issue I may have is that, when the heatsink was initially applied, I removed it because I couldn't get the computer to POST (realized I was using the unsupported OCZ PC6400 dual channel memory which was causing the problem.) So anyway, I removed the heatsink from partially dry thermal paste, and I dunno if taht would cause an issue or not because I've applied direct pressure to the heatsink with no visible results. When I touched the heatsink, it didn't feel more or less hotter than room temperature, so I can't tell what the case is. Any help would be appreciated, I dunno what to believe at this point.

That sucks..:(

Any other monitoring software you can try? speedfan says -25C for me yet Asus Probe II says 252C..:p

trackjacket

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Those are the only temperature reading programs I'm aware of besides Intels monitoring program, which isn't compliant with non-Intel boards.

trackjacket

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
As I said in my original post I tried Core Temp with similar results. The only thing I can think of is that the thermal paste is being subject to too many air bubbles from my original reseating without new thermal paste.

razvanstroiu

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I have the same motherboard and cpu and I have oced it to 3.0 at 1.3v with stock cooler and added 2 extra 120 case fans. My temps are 30 celsius iddle and 50-55 celsius full load.
Without case fans I use to have 35-40 iddle/55-60 full load.

I think it is the thermal paste.
Before e6300 I had d940 wich had reached 80 celsius after reseating intel hsf without replacing thermal paste.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Yeah, you need to redo the thermal paste. I had really bad experiences with the stock HSF, I reapplied Arctic Silver 3 times and was still idling at 55c. The thing obviously wasn't seated correctly even though it looked like it and wasn't budging.

Got an Arctic 7 Freezer Pro, now I idle at 37c at stock, and if the room's cool, as low as 34c if the fan is running full blast. Even overclocked to 2.8ghz (my daily use OC) I get 40c...

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
There is another temp monitoring program called Motherboard Monitor. It's pretty useful. They update the motherboard database pretty regualrly. It will also do a system register dump so you can manually enter in the sensors. Here's the website.

You can download it from any of the mirrors.
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

I hope that helps out.