Memory Questions (Mixing Vendors and Voltage)

Crey

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004
I currently have 2 sticks of 512 Corsair 2-2-2-5 memory running dual channel (DDR 400). Problem is, newegg doesn't carry Corsair 2-2-2-5 memory anymore, and I really want to go to 2Gigs. In fact, I can't find it anywhere. 2-3-3-6 is the best I can see for Corsair on newegg, but G.Skill actually has a 2-2-2-5 set.

Anyone think I will have problems mixing Corsair and G.Skill memory? They will be on separate channels, so I'm thinking that shouldn't have dual channel issues.

I'm a little concerned about voltage though. My Corsair 2-2-2-5 runs at 2.75. This G.Skill memory runs at 2.7-2.9. Say, to get the G.Skill to run with stability, I have to run at 2.9. Will my Corsair memory do that or will that cause problems?

Any feedback at all would be helpful. Even if it's "I'm not sure...you should probably just go with two 1 Gig sticks and ditch your old memory." I really value everyone's opinion here. Thanks for the help in advance!

Crey

mpjesse

Splendid
Well no one can say for sure if the Corsair stuff will run at 2.9 volts, but most memory does fine w/ increased voltages. I never recommend using mixed manufacturers or models unless it's cheap value ram. However, you're using premium low timing stuff which is always a little more finnicky.

I'd say the likelihood of the Corsair working w/ the G.Skill is pretty good. However, you may have to lax timings a bit to say 2-3-2 and (of course) increase the voltage to 2.8. The best way to find out if the Corsair will work at 2.9 is to try it right now. Go into the bIOS and up the voltage in increments... check stability... and keep going up until the memory becomes unstable or the system doesn't POST- but DONT go higher than 2.9. More than likely, that G.SKill runs at 2.75 or 2.8V. 2.9V is unlikely. My DDR500 stuff from OCZ doesn't even run that high (2.9V)

The absolute safe answer is to get 2GB of G.Skill and sell the 1GB of Corsair on eBay.

Mondoman

Splendid
I agree with the purple one. While you're at it, go to the Corsair web site and/or help forum and find out what is the max voltage you can use on your Corsair sticks before the warranty is voided.

... They will be on separate channels, so I'm thinking that shouldn't have dual channel issues.
You have it backwards here. Dual channel mode usually requires identical configurations on each channel, because you want each memory controller channel to be accessing the same type of memory at the same time. Thus, if slots 1 and 2 are channel 1 and slots 3 and 4 are channel 2, you would put 1 Corsair and 1 G.Skill in slots 1 and 2, and the other module of each type in slots 3 and 4.