New build/XP install: Screen just goes blank...HELP!!!

gorgerax

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I've built dozens of systems and there is usually a new glitch each time but am always able to figure it out. This time the glitch has me stumped!

I am putting together a system using some new as follows:

CPU: C2D E6300 (new)
Mobo: Asrock 775 Dual VSTA (new)
Ram: Dual Channel Corsair DDR400 (old)
Video: ATI 1300 Pro PCIe (new)
3 HD; 1 DVD/RW (old)
Antec 400w Smartpower 2.0 (new)

After putting everything together and setting the cd/dvd as the boot drive, I let it boot up the XP Pro set up disk. Everything proceeded normally. The drive I had set as the Primary Master came up as the E drive. I hate that! So I hit F3 and F3 again to quit the install and turned everything off. I disconnected the power to the other 2 hd, and resarted. Now the video was all messed up...kinda hard to explain... After trying several restarts I turned the machine off again. Unplugged it and cleared the CMOS. Now the video looked fine through the boot up screens. However, as soon as I boot from the install disk, the "Windows is inspecting your system" message flashes and everything goes dark! The disk is still spinning but nothing happens!

I went ahead and updated the bios, reset the vid card, Ram sticks, even replaced the IDE cables and the same thing happens everytime.

I wonder if the mobo is defective??? Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

I've built dozens of systems and there is usually a new glitch each time but am always able to figure it out. This time the glitch has me stumped!

I am putting together a system using some new as follows:

CPU: C2D E6300 (new)
Mobo: Asrock 775 Dual VSTA (new)
Ram: Dual Channel Corsair DDR400 (old)
Video: ATI 1300 Pro PCIe (new)
3 HD; 1 DVD/RW (old)
Antec 400w Smartpower 2.0 (new)

After putting everything together and setting the cd/dvd as the boot drive, I let it boot up the XP Pro set up disk. Everything proceeded normally. The drive I had set as the Primary Master came up as the E drive. I hate that! So I hit F3 and F3 again to quit the install and turned everything off. I disconnected the power to the other 2 hd, and resarted. Now the video was all messed up...kinda hard to explain... After trying several restarts I turned the machine off again. Unplugged it and cleared the CMOS. Now the video looked fine through the boot up screens. However, as soon as I boot from the install disk, the "Windows is inspecting your system" message flashes and everything goes dark! The disk is still spinning but nothing happens!

I went ahead and updated the bios, reset the vid card, Ram sticks, even replaced the IDE cables and the same thing happens everytime.

I wonder if the mobo is defective??? Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Reading your post, it sounds like you may have corrupted the BIOS. Do you have a BIOS rescue disk or something similar? If not, I would RMA the board.

gorgerax

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Well, I DID update/reflash the bios from v1.30 tp v1.70. Still no go.

I got an RMA from the Egg; will return it Monday.

Thanks!

burnmacs

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
For what it's worth, I had a very similar problem regarding the reboots (not the video) with my G965SS board and solved my issue by setting my SATA controller to legacy mode. Once I did that, I updated my BIOS and was able to have my machine behave.

Mike

gorgerax

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
For what it's worth, I had a very similar problem regarding the reboots (not the video) with my G965SS board and solved my issue by setting my SATA controller to legacy mode. Once I did that, I updated my BIOS and was able to have my machine behave.

Mike

This was my most frustrating build ever! After rebuilding the system @ 5 times and replacing everything that wasn't already new (vis card and PS) I figured out WHAT the problem was but not WHY...

The HD I was wanting/trying to use as Primary was a 160GB Seagate I salvaged from a defunct DIshnetwork DVR. I had previously reformatted it and used it breifly as an extra in my main PC...it worked fine. But as a Primary Boot...it would not.

AS I mentioned in my original post, there is always at least one new glitch in every build (at least that has been my experience) but after figuring it out, it is reqrding and educational. This one still is a little unrewarding becasue I do not know WHY!

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys/gals!

TRENDING THREADS