Recovered File Fragments

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

I'm running a double-boot system with win98SE (on C:\) and win2000 (on D:\).
Yesterday my computer crashed while I was working under win2000.
Because even ctrl-alt-del didn't work anymore I pushed the reset button.
At the reboot of win2000 the C:\ partition was (according to scandisk)
corrupted.
Scandisk converted nearly all files and folders, including /windows to files
with the extension .CHK.
Is there a way to recover those files or do I just have to re-install win98
if I want to have it again?

I'm asking this before I do it because it means also reinstalling win2000
afterwards.
Or is there maybe a way to backup the files needed to boot win2000 (ntltr
etc.)
and then restore it afterwards ? I doubt it because I can think of no way to
backup and restore
the MBR. Maybe I'm wrong and there is a way or I don't need the old MBR.
Just a thought...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

washuu

Before reinstalling Win98, copy the files boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr and
(if it exists) ntbootdd.sys from C:\ to a safe place. Ideally to a floppy
that you have formatted from within Win2000. This floppy is bootable and
will boot into Win2000 on D: (test this before you continue).

Next, reinstall Win98 (this is needed).

AFter installing Win98, copy the files above back, boot from your Win2000
CD, press R and then C. This will start the Recovery Console. From there,
issue the command FIXBOOT. This will restore your ability to boot Win2000
from your hard disk, without the need for a reinstall.

This MS Knowledge Base article has more information about the Recovery
Console:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229716

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)