Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is epson cx1500 all in one worth it at $40???

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:54:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I could use a scanner, I Read its easy on ink.

so a local store has a deal for $40. brand new.

is it worth it in your view? most of my printing is text, plus some scans.

thanks!

More about : epson cx1500 worth

August 10, 2005 2:03:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> It uses the T038 black and T039 color cartridges.

I actually quoted Epson's website.. Their full name is T038125 and
T039125, but they are clearly refered to what you said. To be honest I
have no idea where to buy T038 nor T039 in north america other than the
epson website. This may change in the future.
August 10, 2005 5:20:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> I only need text printing, and I'm not sure what a cx1500 black ink will
> yield in temrs of pages, I suspect 300-400. I wasn't able to confirm this
> anywehre on the web, or the actual ink amount per cartridge. in any even, I
> was able to locate a few places in north america that do sell these
> cartridges for around $7US each.

210pages, at 5% yield. This is very very typical of many sub $100
units esp sub all in one units. If you can find the carts for USD
$7.00 that equals 3.3. Vs buy it on the epson website, where it's
USD$12.99 or 6.1cents/page. You have your choice of horrible or better
than average. That $7.00 deal might not be OEM... which is fine. Just
if you are going to play that game it's helpful to buy something with
more than 10ml of ink as the minium price tends to be $5.00 a 3rd party
refill regardless of volume.

This is a high ink user if the yields and volumes are correct. We're
talking 1/2 ml/page rather than something like the r200 which uses 1/3
ml/page. The drop size is huge.. 6pl. Even the r2400... something
designed to be a high end color printer uses 3.5pl drops... and it's
designed to use lots of ink. Expect other printers to offer drop sizes
as low as 3pl, or 1.5pl on epson's higher end photo printers... canon
has a choice between 2pl and 5pl drops except on the ip5000 and ip4200
which it is 1pl and 5pl.

This looks like an ink hog.... but I've not seen the output so I don't
know if the inkhogging is justifed.

I can't conferm the size of the tanks, but it looks like 9.5ml for the
black... dye based,, and 30ml (10ml * 3) for the color also dye based.
Plus the fact that epsons typicaly are chipped and stop a few ml short
of empty, which would explain why the yield is less than 1/2 printers
that cost a little bit more.

Something else you should be aware of... some of these units refuse to
scan if you are out of ink. I'm sure you could "trick" it into
thinking it has ink.

For a text printer AIO consider the CX4600... if not the Canon mp750,
760, or 780 <-- fax.

The Epson $130 CDN... might even be able to get a rebate, not sure
about canadian residents.
[all prices CDN]
-Epson Stylus CX4600-
$34.85 T044120 Black 400p 13.5ml IIRC 8.7c/page
$18.96 T044220 Cyan 400p 13.5ml iirc 4.7c/page
$18.96 T044320 Magenta 400p 13.5ml iirc 4.7c/page
$18.96 T044420 Yellow 400p 13.5ml iirc 4.7c/page

Not sure why your small yield black is so expenstive... and I'm not
sure the cx4600 can take the big black. They "might" have made the
printer so only the small black that's more costly to use would fit.
But still the yields on this printer per color are higher.. comes with
twice as much as the 1500... higher resolution printing and pigmented
inks to boot.

Going with the older brother the CX6600 definatly gets you the high
yield black rated at 950 pages (T043120-S).

There could be clogging issues on these base epsons... I don't know as
I don't own one. I had bad luck with an r200. But they are covered
for a year and I got free ink when I got a referb to replace mine,
valued at more than the printer. One may consider an extended
warranty... and hope it does break.

3rd party inks possible... bulk fillling requites refillable cart with
either self resetting chip or chip resetter device. Tons of ink
options on epson.

Canon mp750/mp760/mp780

$18.94 BCI-3e Pigment black 500p 25ml 3.788c/page
$17.96 BCI-6bk dye (photo black) 14ml 280 p 6.4c/page
$17.96 BCI-6c dye Cyan (photo black) 14ml 280 p 6.4c/page
$17.96 BCI-6m dye Magenta (photo black) 14ml 280 p 6.4c/page
$17.96 BCI-6y Dye yellow (photo black) 14ml 280 p 6.4c/page

Benifits... I know for a fact this unit works without ink to scan. The
inks are not chipped at all and ink level is determined by light. Text
printer it's great and as a photo printer it's nothing to sneeze at.
Cost per page is on part with many sub $300 laserjets for black, and
color is very reasonable as well. outpost.com carries the 750 for $99
plus shipping. The print engine is based on the ip4000. You got your
duplexing... cd printing if you order a tray from partsnow.com and
tweek with the front buttons. The scanner is acceptable... and the
auto document feeder on the 750 and 780 might come in handy... the
negative / slide scanner on the 760 is so so for 4x6 prints, but a tad
blocky for 8x10. Fax support blows, fax modem on the 780 only... print
from pdf works.

Decent 3rd party refills... easy self refilling with a nail and hot
glue gun... or go with refillables for less mess less bother.


vs the cx1500

Prices CDN quoted per their website.
$19.99 Color T038125 180 pages 5% yield 11c/page 9 pages at 100%
yield... $2.22/page [note this is a tri color cart... 5% yield may be
60 cyan / 60 magenta / 60 yellow pages]
$17.99 Black T039025 210p 5% yield 8.5c

Ink prices are from office depot canada, except the cx1500 where they
were quoted from the epson.ca website.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:40:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1123650226.203776.250970@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> It uses the T038 black and T039 color cartridges.
>
> I actually quoted Epson's website.. Their full name is T038125 and
> T039125, but they are clearly refered to what you said. To be honest I
> have no idea where to buy T038 nor T039 in north america other than the
> epson website. This may change in the future.

thanks for all your inputs folks. much appreciated. I am really unusure
whether to get a low end bw laser printer or just get this cheap cx1500
printer at $40 local store deal. I know I'd get a scanner with it, which I
could use now too. so its a plus.

I only need text printing, and I'm not sure what a cx1500 black ink will
yield in temrs of pages, I suspect 300-400. I wasn't able to confirm this
anywehre on the web, or the actual ink amount per cartridge. in any even, I
was able to locate a few places in north america that do sell these
cartridges for around $7US each. I do not think this is a bad price for
300-400 of pages. I hear this printer is a really really low ink user.
perhaps one of the lowest around now.

once again, thank you for all your help.
its unblievable how laser printers got cheap, so I'll keep looking for one
in the meantime. I think all features (scannings, etc) of this cx1500 make
it an okay buy for the $40, even if I was going to replacing its printing
function with a laser printer in the next week or two. at least I won't say
I lost my money on it.

regards.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:14:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I agree, this printer isn't suitable for b/w printing, as the black
cartridge has low yield.
Indeed, only 4x printer modes accept T036, T037, T038, T039 cartridges, and
if I remember correct, few american models accept T038 and T039, even though
both pairs are identical except the chip.

--

Yianni

--
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1123662052.700179.45250@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> > I only need text printing, and I'm not sure what a cx1500 black ink will
> > yield in temrs of pages, I suspect 300-400. I wasn't able to confirm
this
> > anywehre on the web, or the actual ink amount per cartridge. in any
even, I
> > was able to locate a few places in north america that do sell these
> > cartridges for around $7US each.
>
> 210pages, at 5% yield. This is very very typical of many sub $100
> units esp sub all in one units. If you can find the carts for USD
> $7.00 that equals 3.3. Vs buy it on the epson website, where it's
> USD$12.99 or 6.1cents/page. You have your choice of horrible or better
> than average. That $7.00 deal might not be OEM... which is fine. Just
> if you are going to play that game it's helpful to buy something with
> more than 10ml of ink as the minium price tends to be $5.00 a 3rd party
> refill regardless of volume.
>
> This is a high ink user if the yields and volumes are correct. We're
> talking 1/2 ml/page rather than something like the r200 which uses 1/3
> ml/page. The drop size is huge.. 6pl. Even the r2400... something
> designed to be a high end color printer uses 3.5pl drops... and it's
> designed to use lots of ink. Expect other printers to offer drop sizes
> as low as 3pl, or 1.5pl on epson's higher end photo printers... canon
> has a choice between 2pl and 5pl drops except on the ip5000 and ip4200
> which it is 1pl and 5pl.
>
> This looks like an ink hog.... but I've not seen the output so I don't
> know if the inkhogging is justifed.
>
> I can't conferm the size of the tanks, but it looks like 9.5ml for the
> black... dye based,, and 30ml (10ml * 3) for the color also dye based.
> Plus the fact that epsons typicaly are chipped and stop a few ml short
> of empty, which would explain why the yield is less than 1/2 printers
> that cost a little bit more.
>
> Something else you should be aware of... some of these units refuse to
> scan if you are out of ink. I'm sure you could "trick" it into
> thinking it has ink.
>
> For a text printer AIO consider the CX4600... if not the Canon mp750,
> 760, or 780 <-- fax.
>
> The Epson $130 CDN... might even be able to get a rebate, not sure
> about canadian residents.
> [all prices CDN]
> -Epson Stylus CX4600-
> $34.85 T044120 Black 400p 13.5ml IIRC 8.7c/page
> $18.96 T044220 Cyan 400p 13.5ml iirc 4.7c/page
> $18.96 T044320 Magenta 400p 13.5ml iirc 4.7c/page
> $18.96 T044420 Yellow 400p 13.5ml iirc 4.7c/page
>
> Not sure why your small yield black is so expenstive... and I'm not
> sure the cx4600 can take the big black. They "might" have made the
> printer so only the small black that's more costly to use would fit.
> But still the yields on this printer per color are higher.. comes with
> twice as much as the 1500... higher resolution printing and pigmented
> inks to boot.
>
> Going with the older brother the CX6600 definatly gets you the high
> yield black rated at 950 pages (T043120-S).
>
> There could be clogging issues on these base epsons... I don't know as
> I don't own one. I had bad luck with an r200. But they are covered
> for a year and I got free ink when I got a referb to replace mine,
> valued at more than the printer. One may consider an extended
> warranty... and hope it does break.
>
> 3rd party inks possible... bulk fillling requites refillable cart with
> either self resetting chip or chip resetter device. Tons of ink
> options on epson.
>
> Canon mp750/mp760/mp780
>
> $18.94 BCI-3e Pigment black 500p 25ml 3.788c/page
> $17.96 BCI-6bk dye (photo black) 14ml 280 p 6.4c/page
> $17.96 BCI-6c dye Cyan (photo black) 14ml 280 p 6.4c/page
> $17.96 BCI-6m dye Magenta (photo black) 14ml 280 p 6.4c/page
> $17.96 BCI-6y Dye yellow (photo black) 14ml 280 p 6.4c/page
>
> Benifits... I know for a fact this unit works without ink to scan. The
> inks are not chipped at all and ink level is determined by light. Text
> printer it's great and as a photo printer it's nothing to sneeze at.
> Cost per page is on part with many sub $300 laserjets for black, and
> color is very reasonable as well. outpost.com carries the 750 for $99
> plus shipping. The print engine is based on the ip4000. You got your
> duplexing... cd printing if you order a tray from partsnow.com and
> tweek with the front buttons. The scanner is acceptable... and the
> auto document feeder on the 750 and 780 might come in handy... the
> negative / slide scanner on the 760 is so so for 4x6 prints, but a tad
> blocky for 8x10. Fax support blows, fax modem on the 780 only... print
> from pdf works.
>
> Decent 3rd party refills... easy self refilling with a nail and hot
> glue gun... or go with refillables for less mess less bother.
>
>
> vs the cx1500
>
> Prices CDN quoted per their website.
> $19.99 Color T038125 180 pages 5% yield 11c/page 9 pages at 100%
> yield... $2.22/page [note this is a tri color cart... 5% yield may be
> 60 cyan / 60 magenta / 60 yellow pages]
> $17.99 Black T039025 210p 5% yield 8.5c
>
> Ink prices are from office depot canada, except the cx1500 where they
> were quoted from the epson.ca website.
>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:48:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

tiktak wrote:

> I could use a scanner, I Read its easy on ink.
>
> so a local store has a deal for $40. brand new.
>
> is it worth it in your view? most of my printing is text, plus some
> scans.

If you have a lot of patience because it seems to be based on Epson C4x
printers. Extremely slow, poor text quality, pretty nice photo quality
(when you pay 40$ for printer)(printing A4 picture in highest quality
takes about one hour:) . Epson cartridges are expensive, don't have to
use them:)  If you print a lot, don't even think about buying this
machine.



--
# £ukasz Ledóchowski
# GG: 503647 lukled@tlen.pl
# http://www.allegro.pl/strona/lukled
!