Boot error 'NTLDR missing'

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

After removeing and reinstalling an application boot
error 'NTLDR is missing' appeared. There was no media in
eather the floppy or CD drive. F8 to select the boot
device will does not appear to let me boot from the hard
drive. Booting from the CD and funning fix disk did not
work. Help!!!

Try booting the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
command;
fixboot

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the password has been
validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access
to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your
computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

Or try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows
2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a
Windows 2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to
the floppy), and copy Windows 2000 versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and
boot.ini to it; and possibly ntbootdd.sys. Edit the boot.ini to give it a
correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dennis" wrote:
| After removeing and reinstalling an application boot
| error 'NTLDR is missing' appeared. There was no media in
| eather the floppy or CD drive. F8 to select the boot
| device will does not appear to let me boot from the hard
| drive. Booting from the CD and funning fix disk did not
| work. Help!!!

TRENDING THREADS