Windows Explorer Crash, Consistently

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 23, 2004 10:38:56 PM

For over a year, Windows Explorer has crashed consistently
when navigating to certain sub-folders at the end of a
long folder hierarchy. The number of characters in the
path name, for one example, is 108, which should not be
too long. A CHKDSK says I have no problems, but the
problem persists. Yet navigating to the files in this
folder using Photoshop, Word or other programs causes no
problems. The probelm seems to occur only in some of my
most deelpy nested sub-folders but other than that, the
problem folders have nothing in common. And I also have
the problem on another disk drive other than my C drive,
so the problem is not the disk. Any ideas?
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:53:52 AM

This could be caused by a program running inside explorer (the explorer max
path length is 260).

Have you scanned for ad/spyware?

Pat

"Mike Gora" <iledefleurs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> For over a year, Windows Explorer has crashed consistently
> when navigating to certain sub-folders at the end of a
> long folder hierarchy. The number of characters in the
> path name, for one example, is 108, which should not be
> too long. A CHKDSK says I have no problems, but the
> problem persists. Yet navigating to the files in this
> folder using Photoshop, Word or other programs causes no
> problems. The probelm seems to occur only in some of my
> most deelpy nested sub-folders but other than that, the
> problem folders have nothing in common. And I also have
> the problem on another disk drive other than my C drive,
> so the problem is not the disk. Any ideas?
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 7:11:44 PM

I have had exactly the same problem for some time now. Using Windows XP
Pro.

Any pathname of over 80 characters causes problems. I have my hard
disc partitioned and the same occurs on both partitions. It doesn't
matter whether it is a single folder of over 80 characters or a nest of
folders adding up to 80 characters.

For any folder over the "limit" explorer cannot cut, copy, show
properties of files, etc. Right clicking within the folder causes
explorer to crash. Working from the command prompt there are no
problems. Other programs can write to the folder with no problems.

Editing the folder name to below 80 characters removes the problem.
Increasing it back to 81 the problem comes back.

I have recently checked for ad/spyware and have NIS running. Any more
ideas?

--
bees
October 9, 2004 1:39:07 PM

I found the problem to be WinImp. I uninstalled it and bingo - no more
problem. Check that you don't have anything similar installed that
extends the standard Windows interface.

Cheers,
Bees.

--