Sign in with
Your question

New build- some thanks and a question.........

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2006 10:38:12 PM

First of all, I just finished a build. Everything went reasonably well, or at least as well as they can go for a newbie :)  Although I know as soon as I close up the case, something will go awry. I appreciate all the answers you guys provided that I benefitted from.

A quick question that I tried to do a search on using the forum search function, but I'm not finding the answer. My CDROM came up as drive "D" and my only hard drive came up as Drive "E". "C" went unassigned completely.

Is there any way I can change my hard drive to the "C" assignment and get it off of "E"? If this question has already been answered a million times, can you post me a link to the answer as I tried some keywords using the search function but I can't seem to find a thread that discusses this topic.

Thanks!

Antec P180
E6600
BFG 650W
1900xtx
P5WDH Deluxe
Sound Blaster Xfi
2GB XMS 2 DDR800 RAM
WD Raptor 76GB

More about : build question

September 1, 2006 10:45:56 PM

Great first build man! Asus and WD. Love em'.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
September 1, 2006 11:32:54 PM

Before you reformat check the bios boot options carefully.
You may have the bios set to boot from P-ATA (IDE) first then S-ATA.
Do you have a 2nd HD (IDE) in your case?
Related resources
September 2, 2006 1:12:39 AM

Thanks doordand.

Geez.....I have to reformat to change a drive letter. That sucks. I guess it's not a big deal if my main (and only) hard drive is my "E" drive, right?

To answer your boot order question......I was going to post a question about this later but right now, this is the boot order I found in bios exactly as it's written.....

1st boot device: [IDE:BENQ DVD LS DW] (this is my one and only DVD/CD/burner device)

2nd boot device: [HDD:3M-WDC WD740GD} (this is my one and only Western Digital raptor hard drive. It's the only hard drive in the case and it was never used before. It's plugged into the SATA1 port on my motherboard ASUS P5WDH deluxe)

3rd boot device: [1ST FLOPPY DRIVE] (I don't have a floppy even installed. I don't know where this came from

4th boot device: [ATAPI CD-ROM] (I have no idea where this came from)

Which order should I have these drives in within the BIOS?? And is it OK to have my one and only hard drive as the "E" drive?

Thanks guys!
September 2, 2006 1:38:32 AM

Get a copy of partition magic... (everyone needs it, maybe a friend already has it?) It'll change your drive letters to anything you like no muss or fuss.
September 2, 2006 1:45:37 AM

Thanks Croc. Now that you mention it, I've definitely heard of that program. I'll check it out.
September 2, 2006 6:31:46 AM

Glad to have been of some small help...

Btw, there are some other ways, but unless you are an XP guru (in which case I don't think you'd even ask) this is probably the most user-friendly way to avoid re-installing the OS.
September 2, 2006 7:10:11 AM

To change drive assignments:

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Disk Management (under "Storage")
Right click on the drive you wish to affect and choose "Change Drive Letter and Assignments"

However, any software pointing to a particular drive that you have changed will stop working. So, if your OS, for some reason, is sitting on drive "E" and you change the letter to "C", you will be cut off from the OS and won't be able to boot into it.
September 2, 2006 7:56:13 AM

Quote:
To change drive assignments:

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Disk Management (under "Storage")
Right click on the drive you wish to affect and choose "Change Drive Letter and Assignments"

However, any software pointing to a particular drive that you have changed will stop working. So, if your OS, for some reason, is sitting on drive "E" and you change the letter to "C", you will be cut off from the OS and won't be able to boot into it.

Actually, there are ways around that but I don't think registry 'hacks' are very user friendly for most folks. Partition magic will do the job. Its slow, but thorough, and has never failed me yet.

The regedit method is also slow, laborious, and involves me doing all the work, then making sure I didn't miss anything. I'm lazy. ;-)

Worst case scenario, in the OP's example, is he has to do a re-install. Which most all other answers have already advised. I gave a choice that almost always works, doesn't require a re-format and re-install, and leaves him with a useful tool when he's done.

Can't believe I'm the only person here that has PQ, given its usefulness in many scenarios.
September 2, 2006 9:39:10 AM

I have it and I use it once in awhile. Partition Magic is an extremly useful tool. But, I didn't know if the poster had it so I just gave him an alternative.
September 2, 2006 2:30:15 PM

Thanks Phreejack for your response. I don't know too much about dinking around with my registry and all the programs I installed point to the E drive. I think I'll just leave it on E and deal with it.
!