Autochk.exe program not found

I am running win2k sp3 and when I boot the computer I
receive:

\SystemRoot\Windows\System32\Autochk.exe program not
found - skipping Autocheck

This lasts for about 2 seconds and then the system boots
normally and seems to run fine. I have tried chkdsk /r/f
and it doesn't help. I have located the file autochk.exe
in C:\winnt\system32 and have tried replacing the file
from another similar machine with no change. If I rename
the file it recreates itself. If I delete the file it
recreates itself. I am not sure what else to try, any

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:34:34 -0700, "John LaBombard"

>I am running win2k sp3 and when I boot the computer I
>receive:
>
> \SystemRoot\Windows\System32\Autochk.exe program not
>found - skipping Autocheck
>
>This lasts for about 2 seconds and then the system boots
>normally and seems to run fine. I have tried chkdsk /r/f
>and it doesn't help. I have located the file autochk.exe
>in C:\winnt\system32 and have tried replacing the file
>from another similar machine with no change. If I rename
>the file it recreates itself. If I delete the file it
>recreates itself. I am not sure what else to try, any
>suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What is in the registry at the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

It should be a REG_MULTI_SZ data type set to
autocheck autochk *

If not, set it to
autocheck autochk *

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Thanks That did it. There was no registry entry.

John

smurfberry

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
How do I fix this problem if the computer won't boot fine. I get that error and then the computer restarts and it is terrible cycle.