operating system boot error

I started a previous thread called "no operating system upon boot" that is
still unresolved. I believe the meat of the story is that during work in
the drive management utility for XP Home, I reformatted the drive D
partition and potentially may have marked it as the primary or boot drive or
somehow confused the system as to which drive to boot to. The C drive
should still be intact with an operating system and files but the d drive is
totally blank and upon a reboot, the system simply displays a "no operating
system availabel" message on my laptop screen. I need to know what the next
step is to try and inform the system upon boot to check the c drive for the
operating system. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

More about operating system boot error

    Fixboot may help-use your CD to statup the recovery console.
    From the XP Help file:
    "Fixboot
    Writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition. The fixboot
    command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console.

    fixboot [drive]

    Parameter

    drive

    The drive to which a boot sector will be written. This replaces the default
    drive, which is the system partition you are logged on to. An example of a
    drive is:

    D:

    Example

    The following example writes a new partition boot sector to the system
    partition in drive D:

    fixboot d:

    Note

    Using the fixboot command without any parameters will write a new partition
    boot sector to the system partition you are logged on to".

    You want to switch to the C: drive, of course.
    This should work if the situation is as you think. If not, you may need to
    reinstall XP.

    Zattack wrote:
    > I started a previous thread called "no operating system upon boot" that is
    > still unresolved. I believe the meat of the story is that during work in
    > the drive management utility for XP Home, I reformatted the drive D
    > partition and potentially may have marked it as the primary or boot drive or
    > somehow confused the system as to which drive to boot to. The C drive
    > should still be intact with an operating system and files but the d drive is
    > totally blank and upon a reboot, the system simply displays a "no operating
    > system availabel" message on my laptop screen. I need to know what the next
    > step is to try and inform the system upon boot to check the c drive for the
    > operating system. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

    Complete shot in the dark here. Have you tried just taking the second
    drive out? With it gone your machine may try and boot from the only
    disk available. Not sure about this maybe someone else knows for sure.

    gls858

    "Zattack" <nospam@orionfirst.com> wrote in message
    > I started a previous thread called "no operating system upon boot" that is
    > still unresolved. I believe the meat of the story is that during work in
    > the drive management utility for XP Home, I reformatted the drive D
    > partition and potentially may have marked it as the primary or boot drive
    or
    > somehow confused the system as to which drive to boot to. The C drive
    > should still be intact with an operating system and files but the d drive
    is
    > totally blank and upon a reboot, the system simply displays a "no
    operating
    > system availabel" message on my laptop screen. I need to know what the
    next
    > step is to try and inform the system upon boot to check the c drive for
    the
    > operating system. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

    It may be a simple as using the XP CD to boot to the recovery console,
    running Diskpart and setting the C partition to Active.

    HTH
    -pk

    He has two partitions on the same hard drive.

    "Test User" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
    > "Zattack" <nospam@orionfirst.com> wrote in message
    > > I started a previous thread called "no operating system upon boot" that
    is
    > > still unresolved. I believe the meat of the story is that during work
    in
    > > the drive management utility for XP Home, I reformatted the drive D
    > > partition and potentially may have marked it as the primary or boot
    drive
    > or
    > > somehow confused the system as to which drive to boot to. The C drive
    > > should still be intact with an operating system and files but the d
    drive
    > is
    > > totally blank and upon a reboot, the system simply displays a "no
    > operating
    > > system availabel" message on my laptop screen. I need to know what the
    > next
    > > step is to try and inform the system upon boot to check the c drive for
    > the
    > > operating system. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

    > It may be a simple as using the XP CD to boot to the recovery console,
    > running Diskpart and setting the C partition to Active.
    >
    > HTH
    > -pk

    I think this one is the way to go.

    Joe

    Ah yes that would seem to be a good option however the laptop does not
    contain a valid copy of Windows XP Home, it is a Sony Vaio and the only
    software that came with the PC is called system recovery and it only offers
    one solution upon boot up- reformat the drive.

    So I guess I need to research trying to find a Fixboot type utility since it
    is not avail on my included cds.

    > Ah yes that would seem to be a good option however the laptop does not
    > contain a valid copy of Windows XP Home, it is a Sony Vaio and the only
    > software that came with the PC is called system recovery and it only
    offers
    > one solution upon boot up- reformat the drive.

    Actually, that *is* a valid copy of XP Home. It's a legal license.

    > So I guess I need to research trying to find a Fixboot type utility since
    it
    > is not avail on my included cds.

    Not really, since Fixboot runs from the recovery console too. What you
    need is a bootable XP Home CD, which you may be able to borrow from someone
    you know. You already have a legal license- you need install media.

    You're going to have to get the bootable CD anyway since IIRC, the VIAO
    machines come formatted NTFS, and Windows 9x or ME boot diskettes won't be
    able to handle the NTFS drives.

    Borrow an XP Home CD, boot from the CD, run the recovery console and log on
    as Administrator. The default password is blank, that is, when prompted
    for the password just press Enter.

    HTH

    -pk

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > He has two partitions on the same hard drive.
    >
    > "gls858" <fls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Zattack wrote:
    >>
    >>>I started a previous thread called "no operating system upon boot" that
    >>>is
    >>>still unresolved. I believe the meat of the story is that during work in
    >>>the drive management utility for XP Home, I reformatted the drive D
    >>>partition and potentially may have marked it as the primary or boot drive
    >>>or
    >>>somehow confused the system as to which drive to boot to. The C drive
    >>>should still be intact with an operating system and files but the d drive
    >>>is
    >>>totally blank and upon a reboot, the system simply displays a "no
    >>>operating
    >>>system availabel" message on my laptop screen. I need to know what the
    >>>next
    >>>step is to try and inform the system upon boot to check the c drive for
    >>>the
    >>>operating system. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

    >>Complete shot in the dark here. Have you tried just taking the second
    >>drive out? With it gone your machine may try and boot from the only
    >>disk available. Not sure about this maybe someone else knows for sure.
    >>
    >>gls858

    Sorry missed that in the post. As Emily Latilla would say "Never mind"

    gls858

    It's easy to do.

    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> He has two partitions on the same hard drive.
    >>
    >> "gls858" <fls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>>Complete shot in the dark here. Have you tried just taking the second
    >>>drive out? With it gone your machine may try and boot from the only
    >>>disk available. Not sure about this maybe someone else knows for sure.
    >>>
    >>>gls858
    >>

    > Sorry missed that in the post. As Emily Latilla would say "Never mind"
    >
    > gls858

Boot Windows XP