Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

New system crashing when worked, can't play favorite game!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2006 11:46:57 PM

:(  Okay, searched the forums, tried every adjustment I can think, really need help with this. I'm lost.

I put the system together (listed below), loaded up XP, everything clean and beautiful, seems okay. Then, I launch a resource intensive application (Battlefield 2 in this instance) and all seems okay at first. Then, after 5-10 minutes of play, one of two things happens:

1) crashes all the way to a reboot
- or -
2) freezes, have to reset

I would have thought this was a software issues, except that the same crash occured a couple of times just on the desktop. Plus, all the parts meet the minimum specs for that game.

Here's the system, all brand new except the DVD and floppy drives, and the second 160GB hard drive.

PSU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
VIDEO CARD: nvidia 7600 GS 512 MB (which does NOT require separate power)
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte MOBO (GA-M55plus-S3G)
Using onboard RealTek audio drivers
350W power supply
DVD-ROM
CDRW
Floppy
300GB Seagate ATA hard drive
160GB MAxtor ATA hard drive

I've updated all drivers and BIOS, rebuilt the system from scratch twice, very clean builds, still having trouble.

I have run the memtest86 utility and the Microsoft RAM utility on it, passes fine.

Any ideas?? :(  :( 

More about : system crashing worked play favorite game

September 2, 2006 12:04:24 AM

Quote:
:(  Okay, searched the forums, tried every adjustment I can think, really need help with this. I'm lost.

I put the system together (listed below), loaded up XP, everything clean and beautiful, seems okay. Then, I launch a resource intensive application (Battlefield 2 in this instance) and all seems okay at first. Then, after 5-10 minutes of play, one of two things happens:

1) crashes all the way to a reboot
- or -
2) freezes, have to reset

I would have thought this was a software issues, except that the same crash occured a couple of times just on the desktop. Plus, all the parts meet the minimum specs for that game.

Here's the system, all brand new except the DVD and floppy drives, and the second 160GB hard drive.

VIDEO CARD: nvidia 7600 GS 512 MB (which does NOT require separate power)
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte MOBO (GA-M55plus-S3G)
Using onboard RealTek audio drivers
350W power supply
DVD-ROM
CDRW
Floppy
300GB Seagate ATA hard drive
160GB MAxtor ATA hard drive

I've updated all drivers and BIOS, rebuilt the system from scratch twice, very clean builds, still having trouble.

I have run the memtest86 utility and the Microsoft RAM utility on it, passes fine.

Any ideas?? :(  :( 

Is it possible to try out your video card in a different computer to see if it fails, overheats, etc.? Your problem could be with the new video card.

Quote:

I assume you mean this processor:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor?

Quote:
2 GB DDR2 RAM

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ uses DDR not DDR2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

If it were mine I would swap out the video card. If no go, I would swap out the RAM. HTH
September 2, 2006 12:46:11 AM

Quote:
I think he was smart enough to get this one.

That's not a PSU.
Related resources
September 2, 2006 1:20:14 AM

Hey Max,
Take a REEEAAALLL good look at your PSU bro. As far as I'm concerned, your PSU is not enough to run the hardware you have. And even if it it JUST meets the specs, what 's prolly hapnin is when the rails peak, there is not enough juice to keep the hardware supplied. With the stuff you have, I would grab up at least a 500 W PSU.

My thoughts are get the beefiest PSU you can (a good one, not a bargan basement), What always end up happening is you upgrade, or add this or add that.....meanwhile your PSU is chugging along trying to keep up with the extra hardware you added.

If you have a friend that has a PSU< borrow his and swap it out and try it on post.

Take a look at my hardware. I have a 600 watt, and it gives me what I need WHEN I need it. :wink:

Antec P180 PerformanceSeries
SeaSonic S12 600 PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI X-16 S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
AMD 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Optimizer)
2 gigs Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 gig HDD / XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500watts
September 2, 2006 1:23:54 AM

I am going to agree with paybax here. That 350W PSU is probably part of your problem.

Run Memtest86 on your RAM just to be safe. Make sure you have the latest video card drivers.
September 2, 2006 2:44:54 AM

Shadowduck I agree. A PSU with a little more heart needed.
September 2, 2006 2:42:06 PM

Hey, thanks for all the tips. I tried out some of your ideas, here's what I figured out:

1. My CPU is not the issue. I have AMD Athlon 64 3800+, 2.4GHz, 2.0GHz FSB, Socket AM2 CPU, which will work with DDR2 RAM, the only RAM this motehrboard supports.

2. My RAM seems to be at the heart of the problem. When I pull out one stick, and run only on 1GB, system runs fine, no problems at all. I think I was having trouble with my RAM (pretty cheap Centon 533mhz DDR2) running in dual channel. When I put it both sticks in non-dual channel slots, also works fine.

3. I think the PSU is also underpowered (thanks for the tip there). I disconnected my 2nd hard drive and the DVD drive for now, until I can replace it with more umph.

Anyway, I think I've narrowed done my issues: buy better RAM (I was using sitcks from another system), buy new PSU, let it rip.

Thanks again for all the feedback.[/code]
September 2, 2006 2:59:59 PM

Yeah DDR2-533 RAM is not going to do very well in an AM2 setting. Buy DDR2-667 (675) CAS4.