Sign in with
Your question

Windows Detects DVD+/-RW Drive as CD-Rom Drive

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2006 12:14:21 AM

I just installed a NEC ND-3550A into a new computer build and after installing windows, Windows XP doesnt recognize the drive as a DVD rom drive. I am trying to play a DVD movie and even after installing nvidia's purevideo decoder, I am still unable to play dvd's. Is there a solution to this problem? Thanks
October 16, 2006 8:54:30 AM

Did you install using the windows driver or the driver from the disc? Try updating your driver. Service pack 2 has lots of other drivers and sometimes them or windows update will install a driver that causes probs. Its best to stick with the driver that came with your drive.
October 16, 2006 10:53:04 AM

Update XP.

Use the drivers on the disk that came with the drive.
Related resources
October 16, 2006 11:25:40 AM

ND-3550A doesn't need new drivers, XP default drivers work fine. I just installed one myself.
October 16, 2006 6:59:22 PM

hi.
i agrre with the previous posts.
did you configure propertly your drive as master, slave,using the jumbers on the back of the driver?
check them.
October 17, 2006 12:48:32 AM

The drive was OEM, so it came with no CD's and the drive is the only one on the IDE cable and the jumper is set to master. Well I needed to reformat my drive because somehow I got a really bad viral infection and now the drive works fine. Thanks guys!
October 17, 2006 10:26:32 AM

I'm having a similar problem with the same drive, ND-3550A, in a new system. It will recognize the drive as a DVD-RW but as soon as I put a blank DVD in there it switches the description to CD Drive and when I try to open it an error comes up "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function". Now the thing is I installed my old LG DVD-RAM in there and it's doing the same thing but it was working fine in my old system a couple weeks ago. Now the only thing I can think of is that this time around I'm running SP2 and Nero 7 and somewhere there's a conflict. Neros Info Tool recognizes everything correctly and I can burn DVD's within Nero.
!