Do I have an Ethernet card?

Last response: in Networking
February 20, 2005 1:48:09 PM

I've been unsuccessful in trying to get a DSL (SBCYAHOO) to work with my
computer. I follow the instructions but when I try to get online I get
a message (sorry, didn't write it down) like "couldn't locate a
connection" or something like that. One of the troubleshooting
checklist items in the manual reads: "Ensure you have a working Ethernet
card installed if you are connecting via the Ethernet port on your
computer". I don't know if I have an Ethernet card or not. There is a
port on the back of the computer that the Ethernet cable that comes with
the DSL kit can fit into. So, does that mean I have an Ethernet card?

More about : ethernet card

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 1:48:10 PM

Arthur Bay wrote:
> I've been unsuccessful in trying to get a DSL (SBCYAHOO) to work with my
> computer. I follow the instructions but when I try to get online I get
> a message (sorry, didn't write it down) like "couldn't locate a
> connection" or something like that. One of the troubleshooting
> checklist items in the manual reads: "Ensure you have a working Ethernet
> card installed if you are connecting via the Ethernet port on your
> computer". I don't know if I have an Ethernet card or not. There is a
> port on the back of the computer that the Ethernet cable that comes with
> the DSL kit can fit into. So, does that mean I have an Ethernet card?

Does the connector on the cable you are referring to look like an
oversized telephone conenctor? It should have room for 8 conductors,
although only 4 may me present (Ethernet only uses 4). Does the jack on
your PC that it plugs into have a decal/stencil near it that looks kinda
like this:

0--|

|--0

0--|

If the answers to the above questions are yes, then you have an Ethernet
port and you may even have it cabled correctly. Have you tried running
the "Network Setup Wizard?"
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:21:50 PM

In article <111hh9kk0qelp0b@corp.supernews.com>,
News Me <newsTWOme@pacifier.com> wrote:
>Arthur Bay wrote:
>> I've been unsuccessful in trying to get a DSL (SBCYAHOO) to work with my
>> computer. I follow the instructions but when I try to get online I get
>> a message (sorry, didn't write it down) like "couldn't locate a
>> connection" or something like that. One of the troubleshooting
>> checklist items in the manual reads: "Ensure you have a working Ethernet
>> card installed if you are connecting via the Ethernet port on your
>> computer". I don't know if I have an Ethernet card or not. There is a
>> port on the back of the computer that the Ethernet cable that comes with
>> the DSL kit can fit into. So, does that mean I have an Ethernet card?
>
>Does the connector on the cable you are referring to look like an
>oversized telephone conenctor? It should have room for 8 conductors,
>although only 4 may me present (Ethernet only uses 4). Does the jack on
>your PC that it plugs into have a decal/stencil near it that looks kinda
>like this:
>
>0--|
> |
> |--0
> |
>0--|
>
>If the answers to the above questions are yes, then you have an Ethernet
>port and you may even have it cabled correctly. Have you tried running
>the "Network Setup Wizard?"

If you go into start/controlpanel/networks you should see at least one
entry called "local area connection". If it's not cabled correctly to
another ethernet device it will say "unplugged". If it sayes "enabled"
in means you've connected a good cable correctly but there are still lots
of reasons why you can't browse the internet

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
February 20, 2005 4:13:02 PM

Arthur Bay wrote:

> I've been unsuccessful in trying to get a DSL (SBCYAHOO) to work with my
> computer. I follow the instructions but when I try to get online I get
> a message (sorry, didn't write it down) like "couldn't locate a
> connection" or something like that. One of the troubleshooting
> checklist items in the manual reads: "Ensure you have a working Ethernet
> card installed if you are connecting via the Ethernet port on your
> computer". I don't know if I have an Ethernet card or not. There is a
> port on the back of the computer that the Ethernet cable that comes with
> the DSL kit can fit into. So, does that mean I have an Ethernet card?

Go to Control Panel > System, then click on the Hardware Tab, then the
Device Manager button. Now click on the '+' sign next to Network Adapter
and you should see you Ethernet Adapter listed here. Any question report
back what you see listed here.

--
Danny Kile
Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
Your cooperation is appreciated.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:49:03 PM

Thanks Danny and all the rest. I called SBC tech support, and they told
me that I am not scheduled to have access to DSL until the 22nd (at the
latest). So, that may have been one of my problems. Secondly, I tried
hooking up on a different telephone line than the one I ordered the
telephone for. They told me I can't do that. So, thanks for your
input. I will try again Tuesday, if I still have a problem, I'll get
back here. Appreciate the advice and information.

Danny Kile wrote:
> Arthur Bay wrote:
>
>> I've been unsuccessful in trying to get a DSL (SBCYAHOO) to work with
>> my computer. I follow the instructions but when I try to get online I
>> get a message (sorry, didn't write it down) like "couldn't locate a
>> connection" or something like that. One of the troubleshooting
>> checklist items in the manual reads: "Ensure you have a working
>> Ethernet card installed if you are connecting via the Ethernet port on
>> your computer". I don't know if I have an Ethernet card or not. There
>> is a port on the back of the computer that the Ethernet cable that
>> comes with the DSL kit can fit into. So, does that mean I have an
>> Ethernet card?
>

> Go to Control Panel > System, then click on the Hardware Tab, then the
> Device Manager button. Now click on the '+' sign next to Network Adapter
> and you should see you Ethernet Adapter listed here. Any question report
> back what you see listed here.

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 5:30:30 PM

You may also have an ethernet port on your m/b but it needs enableing in
BIOS

> In article <111hh9kk0qelp0b@corp.supernews.com>,
> News Me <newsTWOme@pacifier.com> wrote:
>>Arthur Bay wrote:
>>> I've been unsuccessful in trying to get a DSL (SBCYAHOO) to work with my
>>> computer. I follow the instructions but when I try to get online I get
>>> a message (sorry, didn't write it down) like "couldn't locate a
>>> connection" or something like that. One of the troubleshooting
>>> checklist items in the manual reads: "Ensure you have a working Ethernet
>>> card installed if you are connecting via the Ethernet port on your
>>> computer". I don't know if I have an Ethernet card or not. There is a
>>> port on the back of the computer that the Ethernet cable that comes with
>>> the DSL kit can fit into. So, does that mean I have an Ethernet card?
>>
>>Does the connector on the cable you are referring to look like an
>>oversized telephone conenctor? It should have room for 8 conductors,
>>although only 4 may me present (Ethernet only uses 4). Does the jack on
>>your PC that it plugs into have a decal/stencil near it that looks kinda
>>like this:
>>
>>0--|
>> |
>> |--0
>> |
>>0--|
>>
>>If the answers to the above questions are yes, then you have an Ethernet
>>port and you may even have it cabled correctly. Have you tried running
>>the "Network Setup Wizard?"
>

> If you go into start/controlpanel/networks you should see at least one
> entry called "local area connection". If it's not cabled correctly to
> another ethernet device it will say "unplugged". If it sayes "enabled"
> in means you've connected a good cable correctly but there are still lots
> of reasons why you can't browse the internet
>

> --
>
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:22:00 PM

"Ethan Rayne" <ethan.rayne@btinternet.com> wrote:
>You may also have an ethernet port on your m/b but it needs enableing in
>BIOS

And since there was no specification of the type of computer, some
laptops have Ethernet RJ45 connectors without the (mini-PCI) Ethernet
card actually being installed...
!