Long file names

What is the ruling regarding maximum characters in long
file names. I know the maximum is 255 but also there is a
reason why you should only use 254. Why is this. Thanks
M.C.

The MAX_PATH is actually 260 characters. This has to include the NULL
string terminator, so there is effectively MAX_PATH-1 bytes available.

c:\ = 3 bytes + 1 (NULL) = 4 bytes = 256 characters remaining for file name
+ extension.

Pat