Maximum Capacity question

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
If a motherboard states that the max capacity is 512mb and has four slots, can I put two 256mb in two slots and leave two empty or will the computer not register this? I would assume so but at the same time I'm not sure if the motherboard is made to not accept more than 128mb per slot because the max is 512. I have to ask this question because I am selling this memory to someone with this computer and I do not want to sell it if it will not work for sure...I have no way of testing it and further I do not want to deal with a return.

If it helps any the memory is PC800 rdram ECC.

It is for a sony vaio PCV-RX463DS.

Thanks for any help.

Mondoman

Splendid
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the MB, so you'll have to check with Sony. A faster, indirect way to the answer would be to go to a RDRAM vendor site with a memory configurator and look up the Sony system there. The configurators usually tell you the maximum memory the board will support, and will offer to sell you 256MB modules if the board does indeed support those. Only potential problem is that sometimes the memory configurators are wrong...

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
problem is finding a memory configurator website that sells rdram.....i tried this with crucial and had no luck. Do you know anyone?

and frankly, I don't think sony would have any clue either...whoever I get on the phone is going to be a moron and have no idea. Maybeee I could get sony to give me the motherboard model and look it up like that but I would never trust what some idiot on their technical support said.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
i found a site, i think it was edge memory, where their configurator let me buy a 256 mb piece. but they are idiots because they wanted me to just buy one piece when it had to be installed in pairs.

TRENDING THREADS