Permissions to format drives

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 29, 2004 11:09:04 AM

We have some DVD drives that we need users to be able
to format. I put the users in the local USERS, then the
local POWER USERS group and they were unable to format the
drives do to lack of permissions. When I moved the users
to the local ADMIN group, they had the acility to format
the drive.
Is there any way to be a member of the USER group and
give them access to format the drive? We do not want
these users to have more than USER permissions.

Thanks in advance,
Shayne
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 3:18:35 PM

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:09:04 -0700, "Shayne Frye"

> We have some DVD drives that we need users to be able
>to format. I put the users in the local USERS, then the
>local POWER USERS group and they were unable to format the
>drives do to lack of permissions. When I moved the users
>to the local ADMIN group, they had the acility to format
>the drive.
> Is there any way to be a member of the USER group and
>give them access to format the drive? We do not want
>these users to have more than USER permissions.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Shayne

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=268236 "Non-Administrator Cannot Gain Access
to Removable Media"

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 4:47:08 PM

Jerold, thanks for the link. We are running
Advanced Server SP4 and we are still having the issue.
Any other suggestions?

!