Case fans in question

ondrugs

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
i've got an Antec P180 case that comes with some controllable 120mm case fans. controllable in the sense that they have a 3 way switch that allows you to manually adjust their speeds.
sounds good in theory doesn't it?! oh yes, there's one small problem - the switches are attached to cables that are barely long enough to make accessible outside the case! i actually had to lengthen one of the cables so that i could make adjustments without having to open my case each time - very tedious indeed!
then there's the fact that i'm not in the habit of monitoring my case temperature every minute (and nor want to be). it's also annoying having hearing the siren of Asus's PC Probe software in the middle of a game because you forgot to turn the fans speeds up! :evil:
so my solution is to buy some fans that my mobo can control. i'm planning to get the Sharkoon Eagle 2000, 120mm fans.
however, i don't want to put in worse fans that what i have.

is there anyone out there who happens to know the ratings of the fans that come with the P180 cases and whether my choice in fans is adequate?

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
sharkoon fans are very good fan. the provide great airflow for the rated noise. they come in at <21.dB. which is ambeint room level. either that or a zalaman fan mate would do the trick...

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
i've got an Antec P180 case that comes with some controllable 120mm case fans. controllable in the sense that they have a 3 way switch that allows you to manually adjust their speeds.
sounds good in theory doesn't it?! oh yes, there's one small problem - the switches are attached to cables that are barely long enough to make accessible outside the case! i actually had to lengthen one of the cables so that i could make adjustments without having to open my case each time - very tedious indeed!
then there's the fact that i'm not in the habit of monitoring my case temperature every minute (and nor want to be). it's also annoying having hearing the siren of Asus's PC Probe software in the middle of a game because you forgot to turn the fans speeds up! :evil:
so my solution is to buy some fans that my mobo can control. i'm planning to get the Sharkoon Eagle 2000, 120mm fans.
however, i don't want to put in worse fans that what i have.

is there anyone out there who happens to know the ratings of the fans that come with the P180 cases and whether my choice in fans is adequate?

I wouldnt even use the fan controller, kinda pointless. The Antec P180 is sound proof enough so having them run full speed shouldnt be a problem, plus its a waste of space in your 5.25 bays or your rear slot bays.

Have you thought about adding these?

Fan controllers

They ramp between 30 and 50C I think, linear from 5 to 12V, installed three of them on my case and they do their own thing and keep the case a little cooler. They just fit between the fan and the power lead to the fan, and they still report back the RPM. They come with 3 pin connectors if you ask. Putting one on the input fan is a little daft as it is sensing external temp temps, but if you put it near a piece of hardware further into the case It'll sense off of that.

ondrugs

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I wouldnt even use the fan controller, kinda pointless. The Antec P180 is sound proof enough so having them run full speed shouldnt be a problem, plus its a waste of space in your 5.25 bays or your rear slot bays.

well i live in a small apparment, so i don't want to have the fans running at full speed all the time. not sure what you meant by the 5.25 bays, but i'm planning on hawling out the old fans and replacing them with the Sharkoons. i've already bought them and they should arrive wednesday. i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Fan controllers

They ramp between 30 and 50C I think, linear from 5 to 12V, installed three of them on my case and they do their own thing and keep the case a little cooler. They just fit between the fan and the power lead to the fan, and they still report back the RPM. They come with 3 pin connectors if you ask. Putting one on the input fan is a little daft as it is sensing external temp temps, but if you put it near a piece of hardware further into the case It'll sense off of that.

i'll use the mobo do controll everything now. if it really sucks, then i will try the controllers you mentions, or even a frontplate of some kind. i'm not to hot with a soldering iron! :wink:

well i live in a small apparment, so i don't want to have the fans running at full speed all the time. not sure what you meant by the 5.25 bays, but i'm planning on hawling out the old fans and replacing them with the Sharkoons. i've already bought them and they should arrive wednesday. i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Fan controllers

i'll use the mobo do controll everything now. if it really sucks, then i will try the controllers you mentions, or even a frontplate of some kind. i'm not to hot with a soldering iron! :wink:

Seriously you don't need an iron, they also sell molex to 3pin convertors, so you put the convertors in line with the controllers and there you go.

I've just set a P180 up, very nice case... if they are on low, I suspect that you can only hear the CPU fan, I've got the intel stock fan and its quite loud, well loud enough to be heard over the silence of everything else.

ondrugs

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
yeah it is quiet! i have a Zalman cooler, so you don't really even here that. but my case isn't under my desk or anything, it's out in the open next to my chair. better ventilation and all that.
i'm toying with the idea of getting:

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Liguid/DIY/cl-w0040/cl-w0040.asp

but at that price i can get a cooler CPU. people recon the Intel 930 runs cooler and overclocks well.
but this is all for another post another day.