Nokia May Release Windows RT Tablet in February

Status
Not open for further replies.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
As an owner of the Lumia 920, I love the matte black finish and whatever composite they used to make the shell. If they use the same build quality/materials and styling in their tablet, I feel it will be one of the nicer offerings rivaled only by Microsoft's Surface. Unfortunately I have no interest in an RT tablet and am holding out for the i5 Surface Pro's, otherwise I think this could be a definite concideration.

G

I can see this lacking anything special other than the design if im honest, I doubt it will have a full HD screen or anything and the S4 is pretty meh for a tablet

G

I dunno about Win RT. There's a very real chance that it will never "get big" because the advantages of running a full OS on ARM go away once you start to have big (power hungry) screens, and Intel is already releasing Atom chips that can compete with ARM designs for performance and power. And if there's anything to know about Intel, it's that it steamrolls whatever sector it wants.

I fully expect efficient x86 designs to replace ARM chips in everything other than cellphones in a the next few years, and for Win RT to be brushed under the rug by then. I wouldn't even be surprised if by this time next year Win RT development is officially stopped.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Now THAT'S more like it. Whatever was wrong with the Surface RT performance wise should be taken care of by the S4.

Will be watching this tablet with interest.

I am personally not much of a tablet person, and very much not an RT person. However, if they throw in a nice Pureview camera, a decent photo and video editing suite, and space for lots of storage (or at least large SD cards) then that could be a really compelling product for the mass market.

Personally I am hoping that my WP8 device will replace my needs for a tablet or laptop. I would much prefer to have a single small portable device to get me between my much larger home and work machines.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
S4 (hopefully Pro)? Yes. Nokia build quality? Yes. WinRT? Ehh... Still not sure. I'd like to have an x86 tablet, but if they can't make a compelling one (Haswell is a stinker), and Nokia's tablet hits the right price point, I may go ahead and pick up the Nokia tab. Better than an Apple tab, certainly.

Status
Not open for further replies.