Last response: in Systems
September 2, 2006 4:24:02 AM

so i finish putting together a system for my cousin

core 2 duo e6300

gigabyte ds3 mobo

1 gb gskill 667 ram cas 4 1.8-2.0 v

x850xt

samsung 150gb sata hdd

alright so i finish hooking everything up and i turn it on. the cpu fan starts spinning slow, and eventually comes to full speed. gpu fan is running, the northbridge heats up.

only problem is that nothing shows up on the monitor. i dont think the psu is bad, it's a new antec smartpower 500w

the ram warms up if that means anything. i wanted 2 gb so i could make sure one stick isnt bad, but im stuck with just one stick due to budget.

ive never built before, and i assumed that after i had it together, i could turn it on and see bios, and then throw in windows and install it. i dont think that i have bad parts, im figuring im not doing something right. i rechecked all of my connections several times now, tried moving the ram to different slots, along with my hdd to different sata ports.

all help greatly aprreciated as i need to get this done by tommorow night.

im going to be checkin back in an hour so dont wait till tommorow to reply!

thanks in advance
September 2, 2006 5:17:51 AM

i tried booting with no ram and got loud beeping from the speaker (hey! i hooked that up right!).

I JUST WANT TO SEE SOMETHING COME UP oN MY SCREEN lol...

comon 18 views, none of you guyz have any recommendations!!!!

im kindof in a panic.

even though the fans spin up, i cant figurfe out why the dvd drive wont open up. i only have one drive in, and it is in the top plug (the master im pretty sure). i would think that it would open up. i dont want to try my old hp psu as i dont think power is the problem. it is only 350 watt. i also have a hiper 580 psu, but i dont feel like ripping apart my working computer.
September 2, 2006 5:43:14 AM

Well that memory is not on the supported list.
You didnt say how many beeps or short/long or some combination thereof ?
Try a different dimm first, still no joy disconnect everything but the absolute essentials video cpu mem nothing else.

report back
Related resources
September 2, 2006 5:52:38 AM

Make sure to re-seat the graphics card too. Also, try placing the RAM in every slot and boot up.

As far as the DVD drive, if it's not opening up, make sure all connetions are tight and that if you have another device on the same IDE cable, you set the jumpers properly. Also try another IDE slot.

See how all that goes.

And don't believe that because you have all new parts that something may not be defective either... sometimes, ppl do get unlucky.
September 2, 2006 7:56:37 AM

i rechecked the connections, i can hear the hdd spin up.

i really think that it might be incompatible ram. since im in a jam im thinking about stoping at comp usa and picking up some other cheap ddr2 (hopefully on the compatible list) and see if it works

im hoping that after i update the bios that the gskill will work.

going for the cheaptest corsaid ddr2 that i can find. i need it from a store because im leaving for south carolina (from new jersey) to help my cousins move in and i wanted to bring the computer with me.

grrr. i was hoping this was going to work first shot
September 2, 2006 9:18:46 AM

Quote:
i tried booting with no ram and got loud beeping from the speaker (hey! i hooked that up right!).

im kindof in a panic.

even though the fans spin up, i cant figurfe out why the dvd drive wont open up. i only have one drive in, and it is in the top plug (the master im pretty sure). i would think that it would open up. i dont want to try my old hp psu as i dont think power is the problem. it is only 350 watt. i also have a hiper 580 psu, but i dont feel like ripping apart my working computer.

Well for starters you cant boot the pc without RAM so ditch that. Are you using an LCD with both DVI and D-sub (analog 15 pin used on CRTs)? If you are, you may need to connect it using the analog connector until you get to windows to change it over (if thats what you do :? ). With my LCD, it wouldnt get any signal with DVI only analog.
September 2, 2006 4:28:58 PM

Quote:

im kindof in a panic.

The ds3 will only accept memory with a maximum on 1.8v. check the mobo manual for supported ram. I got 2 sticks of corsair xms2 ddr2-533 and it posted. On newegg its listed at $165.

what kind of video card do you have, sound card? Is your DVD set to master? With my doing my first build and with help i got in the forumz, its recommened to get a PSU with at least 500w. i bought my PSU from my local computer store, everything else i got from newegg. take all plugs out and put back in. Im guessing if all of this fails, something is defective.

my specs;
Gigabyte DS3
E6300 (retail)
corsair xms2 2x512 ddr2-533 (1GB) cl-3 3-3-3-8
2x WD Caviar SataII 250GB 16cache
Saphirre x1900xtx
Soundblaster X-fi XM
Aerocool ExtremEngine 3T case
Thermaltake PurePower 500w PSU
September 2, 2006 6:09:15 PM

video card is an x850xt, no sound card.

ive now rechecked my connections like 20 times.

i tried hooking up the monitor using the adapter for the non dvi connection. (not sure what it is called).

im going to go to comp usa today and pick up the cheapest ram on the compatible list.

it just kills me cuz everything spins up and no picture.
!