Disk Fills up by itself

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have a 2000 machines that show the c:\ is full but can't
find any files large enough to be filling it. When looking
at the properties it shows close to %100 if the drive is
used when I know it's not full. It will not let me save
files to it either. Any clues?

dl

Hidden files, swap file etc
In the Command Prompt window, at the prompt
C:\>
type dir
what info do you get?

"dave" <ironhse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a 2000 machines that show the c:\ is full but can't
> find any files large enough to be filling it. When looking
> at the properties it shows close to %100 if the drive is
> used when I know it's not full. It will not let me save
> files to it either. Any clues?

Hi, DL - and Dave.

Make that: dir /s /a

The /s includes all subdirectories in the listing; the /a shows all files,
including those with System, Hidden and Read-only Attributes set.

In the "DOS" window, type any command followed by /? to see a mini-Help file
showing all the switches and parameters available with that command. For
example: dir /?

Dave, in addition to \pagefile.sys, \hiberfil.sys, \Recycle*, etc., check
out \Documents and Settings. Lots of things get stored here that really
should be somewhere other than the boot volume, but that's where Win2K/XP
put them by default.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"DL" <dl@spoofmail.nothere> wrote in message
> Hidden files, swap file etc
> In the Command Prompt window, at the prompt
> C:\>
> type dir
> what info do you get?
>
> "dave" <ironhse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have a 2000 machines that show the c:\ is full but can't
>> find any files large enough to be filling it. When looking
>> at the properties it shows close to %100 if the drive is
>> used when I know it's not full. It will not let me save
>> files to it either. Any clues?

TRENDING THREADS