Windows Explorer Replacement Recommendations

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b α HP
October 3, 2004 11:17:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

What are people using as a Windows Explorer replacement?

Is there one of the various offerings that is significantly better
than the others?

I am looking for ease of use, customization, side-by-side folder
views, etc.

I am not looking for freeware. I want something that will be
supported.

Thanks

--
Running Win2K-SR2 on an HP Omnibook 6000 laptop
Connected over a P2P network to an HP Vectra workstation
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 3, 2004 3:59:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

I like Novatix Explorer Plus $39.95
http://www.novatix.com/Products/ExplorerPlus/

"Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What are people using as a Windows Explorer replacement?
>
> Is there one of the various offerings that is significantly better
> than the others?
>
> I am looking for ease of use, customization, side-by-side folder
> views, etc.
>
> I am not looking for freeware. I want something that will be
> supported.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Running Win2K-SR2 on an HP Omnibook 6000 laptop
> Connected over a P2P network to an HP Vectra workstation
> For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 3, 2004 3:59:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:59:45 -0400, "tully"
<spam_me_here@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I like Novatix Explorer Plus $39.95
>http://www.novatix.com/Products/ExplorerPlus/

It looks pretty good -- thanks.

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
a b α HP
October 4, 2004 12:37:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

2xExplorer

--
"Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What are people using as a Windows Explorer replacement?
>
> Is there one of the various offerings that is significantly better
> than the others?
>
> I am looking for ease of use, customization, side-by-side folder
> views, etc.
>
> I am not looking for freeware. I want something that will be
> supported.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Running Win2K-SR2 on an HP Omnibook 6000 laptop
> Connected over a P2P network to an HP Vectra workstation
> For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 4, 2004 3:13:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

Not even close. Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/)
will replace Explorer, Winzip and probably a dozen other
utilities simultaneously. It's the first program that I
load on every computer.

US$ 32. You can try it out for free. It's a small
download. There's also a forum for those digging way deep
down into its capabilities.
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/index.php?language=english

Top Spin wrote:
> What are people using as a Windows Explorer replacement?
>
> Is there one of the various offerings that is significantly better
> than the others?
>
> I am looking for ease of use, customization, side-by-side folder
> views, etc.
>
> I am not looking for freeware. I want something that will be
> supported.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 4, 2004 3:13:25 PM

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:13:24 GMT, Bob P <bobpatera@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Not even close. Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/)
>will replace Explorer, Winzip and probably a dozen other
>utilities simultaneously. It's the first program that I
>load on every computer.

Thanks. You sound quite certain. Have you tried any of the other file
managers?

It doesn't look as if TC has any type of encryption capability. Does
it?

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 4, 2004 6:39:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

> Thanks. You sound quite certain. Have you tried any of the other file
> managers?

I've looked at a bunch, and many of the people in the TC
forum have done extensive comparisons. Of course everybody
on the forum ended up with TC. ;>)

> It doesn't look as if TC has any type of encryption capability. Does
> it?

TC doesn't have encryption built-in because of European
legal limitations. There are, however, add-ins that will
integrate quite seamlessly.
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 4, 2004 6:41:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

Oh! And support from the forum is unsurpassed!
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 4, 2004 6:41:19 PM

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:41:18 GMT, Bob P <bobpatera@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Oh! And support from the forum is unsurpassed!

That is a big plus!

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 5, 2004 7:21:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

Bob P <bobpatera@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Not even close. Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/)
>will replace Explorer, Winzip and probably a dozen other
>utilities simultaneously. It's the first program that I
>load on every computer.

>US$ 32. You can try it out for free. It's a small
>download. There's also a forum for those digging way deep
>down into its capabilities.

>http://www.ghisler.ch/board/index.php?language=english

>Top Spin wrote:
>> What are people using as a Windows Explorer replacement?

>> Is there one of the various offerings that is significantly better
>> than the others?

>> I am looking for ease of use, customization, side-by-side folder
>> views, etc.

>> I am not looking for freeware. I want something that will be
>> supported.

I too would like a replacement for Windows Explorer but I'm afraid
Total Commander isn't it. It's far too hard to use, intuitively
un-obvious, and has all sorts of functions I really don't want but is
missing those that I do.

There's another file management package called ZtreeWin which is a 32
bit re-write of the excellent DOS Xtree. Unfortunately it's
unnecessarily complex. The makers of both Ztree and Total Commander
seem to have forgotten that we live in a graphical age and use a mouse
for most of the things one needs in such a package. We might bemoan
the waste inherent in using gigabytes of memory and gigahertz of
processing power to do things which in the past were done in Kbytes
and Mhertz but now that we have the super speed and space let's use
it.

For example, any replacement should read the directories of all the
local disks attached to the system at execution time and keep the info
in memory and update it there. Finding any file based on any search
argument should be done at memory speed.

Every file should be listed. I object to being treated as a child by
Bill.

As you scroll down the list of files the other pane should show a
character representation of the content of the file under the cursor
(just the first thousand bytes or so). If you want to really
investigate it you click on the display panel and have the option of
text, hex, (where possible) interpreted WP file, picture, first frame
of video,... etc. In hex mode you should be able to directly edit the
file on disk (like the old Xtree).

The rename function is limited in Total Commander and looks more
extensive in Ztree but is impossible to understand in either package.
Basically you need a function that for any selected groups of files
(which could span folders and even disks) would allow you to replace
any string of characters with any others, to insert strings at desired
points, to remove strings and squeeze out the resultant space, to
covert to upper or lower case or initial caps,... and to do all the
above conditionally (e.g. only remove the "12" in the file name if the
name starts with "Q" and the file's not an executable).

Well, I could go on forever. I'm glad both provided trial copies which
saved me wasting my money. Of course Total Commander's payment system
(in Swiss Francs) is symptomatic of the package--too complex--and
would probably have meant I wouldn't have bought anyway.

So if you know of any others to try, I'm all ears.
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 9, 2004 10:01:48 PM

"Hung Khee Hua" <nospam-hungkh@spam-yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 2xExplorer
>
> --
> "Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > What are people using as a Windows Explorer replacement?
> >
> > Is there one of the various offerings that is significantly better
> > than the others?
> >
> > I am looking for ease of use, customization, side-by-side folder
> > views, etc.
> >
> > I am not looking for freeware. I want something that will be
> > supported.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Running Win2K-SR2 on an HP Omnibook 6000 laptop
> > Connected over a P2P network to an HP Vectra workstation
> > For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Power Desk is pretty good.

http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html
Anonymous