puplegamer

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I need your guys' help on choosing.

I really like the p5w dh, it has all the features i am looking for but the only thing is that it cannot be installed upside down because of the heat pipes, and thats what the case which I am interested it requires. The problem is that I have a lot of HDDs (9) and the only case that really fits my needs is the Lian Li PC-V2100PlusII.

So If I still want to use the case then I have to go for a different mobo that doesnt have heat pipes, which would be the DFI Infinity 975X.

The other option is I get a TT Armor and stick with the p5w dh, in that I can just buy another cage and fit all 9 HDD's, but the PS and the HDDs arent seperate as in the Lian Li thus system would run hotter and probably louder.

I have been reading for nights, I cannot even get any sleep because i cannot decide, so please help me out tell me what you think would be a good choice.

puplegamer

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
You will not find any other case that matches the quality, size, room and the specification of Lian Li PC-V2100PlusII. PERIOD

So here are your choices:
-Buy P5W DH, remove the top ASUS logo plate (it's a clip-on) to expose the fins and add a low RPM 40mm fan on each of the two chipsets.
-Buy DFI Infinity 975X, just as good&stable although with slighly less gizmos
-Replace all components covered by heatpipe with proper chipset (and MOSFET for CPU area) heatsinks

Any of those three options are recommended.

Thank you so much for your reply, I have been lurking 10's of hours every day and I know that you know your stuff so you recommendation is definitely very helpful.

I dont understand option 3, you mean take of the heat pipe and cool the the mosfet and cpu area with another heat sink. (this option is for the asus board right?)

I am an entertainment freak I watch a lot of movies (on my west 37" w3) :) and do high resolution gaming a long with a lot of mutitasking so I am definitely going to be overclocking, probably not to the extreme but just a decent amount so the voltage isnt too high and i can keep the temp low. Given that, if you were in my situation what would you do?

puplegamer

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
dont understand option 3, you mean take of the heat pipe and cool the the mosfet and cpu area with another heat sink. (this option is for the asus board right?)
Yeh, pretty much replacing the entire cooling system with active cooling (or big passive cooling like what ASUS used to do).

I'm not so sure about cutting heatpipes (then pinching the end with vice), but it would also be a great idea if you could re-use just the MOSFET heatsink part and just replace the heatsink on NB and SB only. That I guess might void the warranty if you send the mobo back...
Anyway, up to you.

I am an entertainment freak I watch a lot of movies (on my west 37" w3) :Smile: and do high resolution gaming a long with a lot of mutitasking so I am definitely going to be overclocking, probably not to the extreme but just a decent amount so the voltage isnt too high and i can keep the temp low. Given that, if you were in my situation what would you do?
You see, even if you went for watercooling w/ chipset waterblock, you'll still need to find a way to cool the MOSFETs and the best way to do that is to re-use the ASUS heatpipe as previously mentioned.

I have been reading for nights, I cannot even get any sleep because i cannot decide
Yeh I can see why now, give a few minutes to think and I'll reply back. :wink:

Or just go with DFI...

BTW, I'm really not meant to be posting cuz I'm officially retired, but your post just sounded so intrested and such a good challenge! LOL

That seems quite a bit of work, I have built lots of PCs but never modified a mobo. Anyways, at the moment I am leaning towards DFI, what do you think about the badaxe, the stability of the badaxe is what is appealing to me a lot.

I know I wont be able to hit a high overlclock on the badaxe compared to p5wdh or even the dfi but one thing that concerns me is that I spend way too much time researching, building, tweaking, troubleshooting computers. My school starts in 3 weeks and this term is going to be really hard I have 4 upper division biochem courses so thats why I want to have a nice set up before college starts so during college I dont have to worry about trouble shooting or any other kind of hassles.

Again wusy thanks a lot for your help!

puplegamer

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I think for the ASUS I'd just go with option #1 "remove the top ASUS logo plate (it's a clip-on) to expose the fins and add a low (~2000)RPM 40mm fan on each of the two chipsets.". Cost-effective, doesn't add extra noise and gets the job done when overclocking.

That sounds much more painless then removing the whole pipe and replacing with other heatsinks, also this wont won't really void the warranty because i can clip the thing right back on.

My understanding was that asus tech said that flipping it upside down would heat the thing up so much that it would fry the board so in your opinon adding a fan to chipsets would be enough to cool it.

puplegamer

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
sorry wusy for workin you here, but got another quick question,

Does the Asus logo plate come of easily and you are talking about the sink below the the processor?

Also the heatsink next to the sata slots isn't connected to the heat pipe would i cool that with a fan aswell.

puplegamer

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
As mentioned earlier, the DFI board is just as good as the ASUS board when it comes to overclocking. It's just that the ASUS comes with tasty cool stuff, but at an premium price (naturally).

My school starts in 3 weeks and this term is going to be really hard I have 4 upper division biochem courses
Shouldn't you be studying? :lol: I remember my biochem paper when I was in first-year vet nearly killed me... (also because I spent slightly too much time here :lol: )

hahah, I am on what i call a computer vacation (I build and sell as many computers as I can and then build my self a sick computer towards the end)

i believe you man, damn you got nearly 30,000 posts. :D

So I am waiting for your next reply on the ease of removing the logo plate and then I will decide on the board.

So the you wont even consider the badaxe?

puplegamer

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
You can see it all here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106563

It's really simple.

I highly recommend that you remove the "covers" on these heatsinks as they are nothing but a hiderance to direct airflow if you have a fan point near them. The cover is nothing my thinly shaped gold-anodized aluminum held on with a very weak adhesive. Pull them right off...and into the trash they go.

Sweet!! I had been through that post before but forgot bout it, I been working my brains hard without sleep (building junk computers for selling)

Anyway I am gonna look for some good low noice fans, wusy or anyone else have any suggestion please let me know.

Thanks wusy for all your replies, you helped me a great deal, I wil finally get some sleep now!!

Good Night..wait its almost good morning here (Cali)