Sign in with
Your question

Need help with administrator privelages.

Last response: in Windows 7
May 24, 2011 12:55:28 AM

My user account has been an administrator since I first got this computer.

Just now I was choosing to save a file in the Computer> OS (C:)  directory. When I hit 'save' it said "You do not have permission to save in this location. Contact the Administrator to obtain permission."

After that I went into Control Panel> User Accounts and Family Safety> User Accounts> Change your account type

Please note, that before I went into 'Change your account type' it said Administrator under my Account name and to the right of my account picture. When I went into 'Change your account type' Standard user was the only circle filled in. When I clicked on the circle next to 'Administrator' the change account type button at the bottom of the window was greyed out.

It will make things really hard if Im a standard user because I cant modify files out side of my user directory. And i think there are other disadvantages.
Any help would be appreciated.
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2011 8:41:08 AM

where are you saving to, also is this folder from another computer which has been moved across to your own, have you been able to save to this folder before etc etc
m
l
May 24, 2011 3:59:54 PM

Boot into Safe mode, Enter Administrator, no password, you should be back in and reset your rights level.

This assumes you never changed the default admin pw and if you did there are tools to reset it - Google it...
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2011 4:04:44 PM

vvhocare5 said:
Boot into Safe mode, Enter Administrator, no password, you should be back in and reset your rights level.

This assumes you never changed the default admin pw and if you did there are tools to reset it - Google it...

Does it not also assume that the system Administrator account has been activated, since it isn't present by default in Vista or W7?

To activate it requires a User Account with administrative privileges. What the OP needs to do is to change Ownership of the folders in question but if he is only a Standard account, it's unlikely he'll get away with that either. He needs to set up a new user Account and make it administrative from the outset.

m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 209 $ Windows 7
May 24, 2011 4:40:08 PM

The NTFS file system supports protection of files via Access Control Lists. The security settings can disallow ANY user - merely being an Administrator does NOT allow you to bypass the protection settings. If the ACL does not permit an administrator to change something, then the administrator can't change it. A lot of OS directories are protected very tightly, and don't allow modifications by administrators.

An administrator CAN change the protections and therefore gain access to the files and folders - but it may require changing the ownership of the files/folders first. THAT is the important thing that an Administrator can to - take ownership of files which then allows him to change their permissions.
m
l
!