Wondows Explorer crash

Sorin

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003

When I want to open,delete,move,etc. some .mht files I
receive the following message
1. The instruction at "......." referenced memory
at "...".The memory could not be read. Click on OK to
terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the
program.
2.Clicking on CANCEL I see "Program error".
3. Clicking on OK I can see "written" replacing "read".
4.A window with "Send error report" is appearing.I send.
5.Another window- Program error-explorer.exe has generated
errors...you will need to restart the program.An error log
is created.
6.After restarting the situation is the same.
7.Another strange consequence-the language bar is
dissapearig !
8.Updatig with SP4, hot fixes,etc.- without any positive
effect.
9. Can someone help me. Thanks.

Arioch

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002

 ïèñüìå îò Tue, 5 Oct 2004 01:49:42 -0700, Sorin <sdemetrescu@fcn.ro>
ñîîáùàë:

there might be some ActiveX plugin, incorrectly wirtten, that crashes
together with host application (explorer in this casE), maybe even some
poor antivirus or whatever.

(I remember i had crashes and music files locking because of some strange
music codec - strange and harâ to ifnd, yes?)

Explorer plugins/addons - that is the general direction of Your
investigations.
If You are experienced user, You could try Process Explorer - too look
what DLL's are attached to explorer.exe and try RegEdit.exe to look for
plugins inside Your registry.
But i guess You are not.

I don't know easy programs to do it.

There is app named `BHO Demon` - but it is made for www-part of
explorer.exe, i doubt it will help You much.
Maybe some other apps of a kind You can get at other forums, such as
www.ntFAQ.com, www.experts-exchange.com and so on.

PS: did You tried to copy/move/delete problem files with other software,
for example console (cmd.exE) or Windows Commander (www.ghisler.com) or
whatever? Do they work, or do they crash same way as Explorer ?
--
Èñïîëüçóåòñÿ M2, ðåâîëþöèîííûé ïî÷òîâûé êëèåíò áðàóçåðà Opera:
http://www.opera.com/m2/