Problem updating Permissions on Windows 2000 computer with..

Tags:
  • Permissions
  • File System
  • Windows 2000
  • Computers
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 5, 2004 12:55:40 PM

Can anyone give me some ideas with this?

I've got a server at work where I need to update file permissions on a
folder. The problem is that there are hundreds of thousands of files
(maybe even millions) and folders contained within it. When I set
permissions for a group, even Domain Users, it takes hours and hours
and hours to run. I THINK it's actually doing it, but I've left it
running for 6-7 hours and had to cancel it. Is there any quicker way
to assign permissions to that many files? I've already tried making
the groups members of the local administrators group. This isn't an
ideal solution, but it doesn't even work 'cuz apparently the local
administrators group doesn't have access to those files.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

James

More about : problem updating permissions windows 2000 computer

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 1:53:27 PM

On 5 Oct 2004 08:55:40 -0700, jameskrolak@yahoo.com (James Krolak) wrote:

>Can anyone give me some ideas with this?
>
>I've got a server at work where I need to update file permissions on a
>folder. The problem is that there are hundreds of thousands of files
>(maybe even millions) and folders contained within it. When I set
>permissions for a group, even Domain Users, it takes hours and hours
>and hours to run. I THINK it's actually doing it, but I've left it
>running for 6-7 hours and had to cancel it. Is there any quicker way
>to assign permissions to that many files? I've already tried making
>the groups members of the local administrators group. This isn't an
>ideal solution, but it doesn't even work 'cuz apparently the local
>administrators group doesn't have access to those files.
>
>Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
>
>James

If you can live the ACLs on existing files, you can try to use XCACLS.VBS, tip 8225 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com,
to temporarily turn off the inheritance, change permissions, and put back inheritance

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 11:34:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try that utility. It DOES look
promising.

Since the original post, I've looked at the folder further and we
estimate it's got between 30 and 40 MILLION files and subfolders. I
started a "Take Ownership" process on it so that local administrators
are at least owners. I figured that would take less time than
changing permissions. It's almost done and has run for 43 hours!!!
Microsoft operating systems definitely were not made for this many
darn files.

!