B&W printing from the Epson R1800 /800

Has anyone sorted out the R800/1800 black and white printing so as to
get good B&W prints? Printing through Photoshop.

I have copied some old photo's and the prints are not very good as
compared to wet printing and sepia toning.

Any recommendations as to a work path.

Thanks

rm
13 answers Last reply
More about printing epson r1800

    Rob wrote:
    > Has anyone sorted out the R800/1800 black and white printing so as to
    > get good B&W prints? Printing through Photoshop.
    >
    > I have copied some old photo's and the prints are not very good as
    > compared to wet printing and sepia toning.
    >
    > Any recommendations as to a work path.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > rm

    What did it look like on screen?
    It is a big ask to get a B&W print off a printer that doesn't use
    several black cartriges to be as good as a wet process print.
    It's going to be pretty hard to get a 100% totally neutral grey in any
    case, but calibrating your monitor and then ensuring that you use
    profiles for the paper you are using would be the best starting place.
    I've managed to get some pretty decent B&W prints, printed on Ilford
    Galerie Smooth Pearl, which is a cleaner white than Epson premium
    semi-gloss. (A profile for that paper / R1800 is downloadable from
    Ilford). I haven't printed B&W in the darkroom for years now, but the
    prints I've done look pretty darn good to me. Metamerism doesn't seem
    to be a huge issue, tonal gradation is good and neutral. You
    will waste a lot of ink and paper though if you don't get colour
    calibration sorted first.

    frederick wrote:

    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone sorted out the R800/1800 black and white printing so as to
    >> get good B&W prints? Printing through Photoshop.
    >>
    >> I have copied some old photo's and the prints are not very good as
    >> compared to wet printing and sepia toning.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations as to a work path.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> rm
    >

    > What did it look like on screen?
    > It is a big ask to get a B&W print off a printer that doesn't use
    > several black cartriges to be as good as a wet process print.
    > It's going to be pretty hard to get a 100% totally neutral grey in any
    > case, but calibrating your monitor and then ensuring that you use
    > profiles for the paper you are using would be the best starting place.
    > I've managed to get some pretty decent B&W prints, printed on Ilford
    > Galerie Smooth Pearl, which is a cleaner white than Epson premium
    > semi-gloss. (A profile for that paper / R1800 is downloadable from
    > Ilford). I haven't printed B&W in the darkroom for years now, but the
    > prints I've done look pretty darn good to me. Metamerism doesn't seem
    > to be a huge issue, tonal gradation is good and neutral. You
    > will waste a lot of ink and paper though if you don't get colour
    > calibration sorted first.

    It looked Ok on the screen but the prints were muddy. That was using
    Ilford Gloss and I have that profile - this has worked for colour
    prints on Ilford Smooth Pearl paper.

    What I've come up with now is - scan - desaturate - auto contrast - then
    make sure the density looks OK as the photos vary.

    Printing Epson Gloss - let PShop determine colour/working RGB Trinitron
    2.2/Saturation/Black point compensation.

    Best Photo / Photo Enhance on Epson Premium Gloss.

    Ill go back and give the Ilford another go and see if it compares.
    Ilford is my preferred paper for large prints just that I had some 6x4
    Epson that I tried for test prints and it seemed to work better.

    I think that I expected a wet type result off the inkjet and started
    chasing my tail trying for the results with no positive direction.

    rm

    "Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message
    > frederick wrote:
    >
    >> Rob wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone sorted out the R800/1800 black and white printing so as to
    >>> get good B&W prints? Printing through Photoshop.
    >>>
    >>> I have copied some old photo's and the prints are not very good as
    >>> compared to wet printing and sepia toning.
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations as to a work path.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> rm
    >>

    >> What did it look like on screen?
    >> It is a big ask to get a B&W print off a printer that doesn't use
    >> several black cartriges to be as good as a wet process print.
    >> It's going to be pretty hard to get a 100% totally neutral grey in any
    >> case, but calibrating your monitor and then ensuring that you use
    >> profiles for the paper you are using would be the best starting place.
    >> I've managed to get some pretty decent B&W prints, printed on Ilford
    >> Galerie Smooth Pearl, which is a cleaner white than Epson premium
    >> semi-gloss. (A profile for that paper / R1800 is downloadable from
    >> Ilford). I haven't printed B&W in the darkroom for years now, but the
    >> prints I've done look pretty darn good to me. Metamerism doesn't seem
    >> to be a huge issue, tonal gradation is good and neutral. You
    >> will waste a lot of ink and paper though if you don't get colour
    >> calibration sorted first.
    >>

    > It looked Ok on the screen but the prints were muddy. That was using
    > Ilford Gloss and I have that profile - this has worked for colour prints
    > on Ilford Smooth Pearl paper.
    >
    > What I've come up with now is - scan - desaturate - auto contrast - then
    > make sure the density looks OK as the photos vary.
    >
    > Printing Epson Gloss - let PShop determine colour/working RGB Trinitron
    > 2.2/Saturation/Black point compensation.
    >
    > Best Photo / Photo Enhance on Epson Premium Gloss.
    >
    > Ill go back and give the Ilford another go and see if it compares. Ilford
    > is my preferred paper for large prints just that I had some 6x4 Epson that
    > I tried for test prints and it seemed to work better.
    >
    > I think that I expected a wet type result off the inkjet and started
    > chasing my tail trying for the results with no positive direction.
    >
    > rm

    Hi.

    I don't do B & W, but I have seen fantastic quality B & Ws which had been
    printed on an R1800, on all sorts of paper.

    As for your "muddy" prints, I don't quite follow your explanation of your
    workflow.

    Are you using Trinitron RGB as your "workspace" profile.? That is your
    Monitor Profile, and no-one has advised using a Monitor Profile as a Working
    Space since PS 4 or 5.

    You seem to be letting PS Colour Manage, but you never mentioned selecting
    the Printer/Paper Profile.

    If PS is colour Managing then in the Printer Advanced Dialogue box, you
    should be selecting "No Colour Management". If you do not do this then PS
    and the Printer will both apply corrections, and only one of them should be
    doing so.

    Roy G

    Roy wrote:
    > "Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>frederick wrote:

    >>>What did it look like on screen?
    >>>It is a big ask to get a B&W print off a printer that doesn't use
    >>>several black cartriges to be as good as a wet process print.
    >>>It's going to be pretty hard to get a 100% totally neutral grey in any
    >>>case, but calibrating your monitor and then ensuring that you use
    >>>profiles for the paper you are using would be the best starting place.
    >>>I've managed to get some pretty decent B&W prints, printed on Ilford
    >>>Galerie Smooth Pearl, which is a cleaner white than Epson premium
    >>>semi-gloss. (A profile for that paper / R1800 is downloadable from
    >>>Ilford). I haven't printed B&W in the darkroom for years now, but the
    >>>prints I've done look pretty darn good to me. Metamerism doesn't seem
    >>>to be a huge issue, tonal gradation is good and neutral. You
    >>>will waste a lot of ink and paper though if you don't get colour
    >>>calibration sorted first.
    >>>

    >>It looked Ok on the screen but the prints were muddy. That was using
    >>Ilford Gloss and I have that profile - this has worked for colour prints
    >>on Ilford Smooth Pearl paper.
    >>
    >>What I've come up with now is - scan - desaturate - auto contrast - then
    >>make sure the density looks OK as the photos vary.
    >>
    >>Printing Epson Gloss - let PShop determine colour/working RGB Trinitron
    >>2.2/Saturation/Black point compensation.
    >>
    >>Best Photo / Photo Enhance on Epson Premium Gloss.
    >>
    >>Ill go back and give the Ilford another go and see if it compares. Ilford
    >>is my preferred paper for large prints just that I had some 6x4 Epson that
    >>I tried for test prints and it seemed to work better.
    >>
    >>I think that I expected a wet type result off the inkjet and started
    >>chasing my tail trying for the results with no positive direction.
    >>
    >>rm
    >>

    > Hi.
    >
    > I don't do B & W, but I have seen fantastic quality B & Ws which had been
    > printed on an R1800, on all sorts of paper.
    >
    > As for your "muddy" prints, I don't quite follow your explanation of your
    > workflow.
    >
    > Are you using Trinitron RGB as your "workspace" profile.? That is your
    > Monitor Profile, and no-one has advised using a Monitor Profile as a Working
    > Space since PS 4 or 5.
    >
    > You seem to be letting PS Colour Manage, but you never mentioned selecting
    > the Printer/Paper Profile.
    >
    > If PS is colour Managing then in the Printer Advanced Dialogue box, you
    > should be selecting "No Colour Management". If you do not do this then PS
    > and the Printer will both apply corrections, and only one of them should be
    > doing so.
    >
    > Roy G

    Sorry I did try the colour management of the Ilford paper with there
    profiles. This I considered a muddy print - after several prints could
    not adjust to get a good print.

    Next step was to go into using the basic printing from PShop which was
    described previous.

    I still need some guidance as to what I should do as using PShop like I
    said is still not the way to go.

    rm

    Rob wrote:
    > Roy wrote:
    >
    >> "Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message

    >>> It looked Ok on the screen but the prints were muddy. That was using
    >>> Ilford Gloss and I have that profile - this has worked for colour
    >>> prints on Ilford Smooth Pearl paper.
    >>>
    >>> What I've come up with now is - scan - desaturate - auto contrast -
    >>> then make sure the density looks OK as the photos vary.
    >>>
    >>> Printing Epson Gloss - let PShop determine colour/working RGB
    >>> Trinitron 2.2/Saturation/Black point compensation.
    >>>
    >>> Best Photo / Photo Enhance on Epson Premium Gloss.
    >>>
    >>> Ill go back and give the Ilford another go and see if it compares.
    >>> Ilford is my preferred paper for large prints just that I had some
    >>> 6x4 Epson that I tried for test prints and it seemed to work better.
    >>>
    >>> I think that I expected a wet type result off the inkjet and started
    >>> chasing my tail trying for the results with no positive direction.
    >>>
    >>> rm
    >>>

    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I don't do B & W, but I have seen fantastic quality B & Ws which had
    >> been printed on an R1800, on all sorts of paper.
    >>
    >> As for your "muddy" prints, I don't quite follow your explanation of
    >> your workflow.
    >>
    >> Are you using Trinitron RGB as your "workspace" profile.? That is your
    >> Monitor Profile, and no-one has advised using a Monitor Profile as a
    >> Working Space since PS 4 or 5.
    >>
    >> You seem to be letting PS Colour Manage, but you never mentioned
    >> selecting the Printer/Paper Profile.
    >>
    >> If PS is colour Managing then in the Printer Advanced Dialogue box,
    >> you should be selecting "No Colour Management". If you do not do this
    >> then PS and the Printer will both apply corrections, and only one of
    >> them should be doing so.
    >>
    >> Roy G
    >>
    > Sorry I did try the colour management of the Ilford paper with there
    > profiles. This I considered a muddy print - after several prints could
    > not adjust to get a good print.
    >
    > Next step was to go into using the basic printing from PShop which was
    > described previous.
    >
    > I still need some guidance as to what I should do as using PShop like I
    > said is still not the way to go.
    >
    > rm

    Just a quick question...
    Are using Ilford Galerie _Smooth_ Gloss or Classic Gloss?
    Classic gloss is for dye inkjets. You will get horrible prints with the
    R1800 on it.

    frederick wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >> Roy wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message

    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I don't do B & W, but I have seen fantastic quality B & Ws which had
    >>> been printed on an R1800, on all sorts of paper.
    >>>
    >>> As for your "muddy" prints, I don't quite follow your explanation of
    >>> your workflow.
    >>>
    >>> Are you using Trinitron RGB as your "workspace" profile.? That is
    >>> your Monitor Profile, and no-one has advised using a Monitor Profile
    >>> as a Working Space since PS 4 or 5.
    >>>
    >>> You seem to be letting PS Colour Manage, but you never mentioned
    >>> selecting the Printer/Paper Profile.
    >>>
    >>> If PS is colour Managing then in the Printer Advanced Dialogue box,
    >>> you should be selecting "No Colour Management". If you do not do this
    >>> then PS and the Printer will both apply corrections, and only one of
    >>> them should be doing so.
    >>>
    >>> Roy G
    >>>
    >> Sorry I did try the colour management of the Ilford paper with there
    >> profiles. This I considered a muddy print - after several prints
    >> could not adjust to get a good print.
    >>
    >> Next step was to go into using the basic printing from PShop which was
    >> described previous.
    >>
    >> I still need some guidance as to what I should do as using PShop like
    >> I said is still not the way to go.
    >>
    >> rm
    >>
    > Just a quick question...
    > Are using Ilford Galerie _Smooth_ Gloss or Classic Gloss?
    > Classic gloss is for dye inkjets. You will get horrible prints with the
    > R1800 on it.

    Ilford Galerie Smooth high gloss.

    I just combined the boxes and normally use smooth pearl for colour but
    each of the boxes did say they were Epson 2100 compatable. The
    literature says that its suitable for either dye or pigment. (I'm still
    using OEM inks)

    When I used Epson paper it was a much better print and using the Ilford
    maybe still be unsuitable even though its Galerie?

    rm

    Hello,

    I know none of you like spam and this message is spam.
    However, it does not mean we don't have good products that will fulfill
    your need.

    We do have bulk ink systems for Epson r800 and 1800, etc.
    Just spend a minute to click the following link won't take too much of
    your time.
    In return, you may find out this product will save you quite a lot.

    http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R800

    www.inkrepublic.com

    Rob wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >
    >> Rob wrote:

    >>> Sorry I did try the colour management of the Ilford paper with there
    >>> profiles. This I considered a muddy print - after several prints
    >>> could not adjust to get a good print.
    >>>
    >>> Next step was to go into using the basic printing from PShop which
    >>> was described previous.
    >>>
    >>> I still need some guidance as to what I should do as using PShop like
    >>> I said is still not the way to go.
    >>>
    >>> rm
    >>>
    >> Just a quick question...
    >> Are using Ilford Galerie _Smooth_ Gloss or Classic Gloss?
    >> Classic gloss is for dye inkjets. You will get horrible prints with
    >> the R1800 on it.
    >

    > Ilford Galerie Smooth high gloss.
    >
    > I just combined the boxes and normally use smooth pearl for colour but
    > each of the boxes did say they were Epson 2100 compatable. The
    > literature says that its suitable for either dye or pigment. (I'm still
    > using OEM inks)
    >
    > When I used Epson paper it was a much better print and using the Ilford
    > maybe still be unsuitable even though its Galerie?

    Smooth is okay - no problems. I havn't tried smooth gloss / B&W.
    Dye ink looks nice on that paper - but it will fade very fast.
    I suggest you have a look here:
    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/index.php
    There is a forum for the Epson R1800. One thread is titled "Perfect B&W
    prints from the R1800" and has workflow instructions for how the poster
    got neutral charcoal and sepia toned B&W.
    There are a couple of other threads that may be of interest.
    If it was me, and I was sure I had the profiles and workflow correct but
    still had the problem, I would do the following:
    Head alignment - it's important to do this.
    Nozzle clean.
    If all above okay I would probably cheat by making a small greyscale
    image, adjusting the hue slightly in bands on the image, print it,
    select the one I liked best, and use it for reference.

    frederick wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >> frederick wrote:

    >>> Just a quick question...
    >>> Are using Ilford Galerie _Smooth_ Gloss or Classic Gloss?
    >>> Classic gloss is for dye inkjets. You will get horrible prints with
    >>> the R1800 on it.
    >>

    >> Ilford Galerie Smooth high gloss.
    >>
    >> I just combined the boxes and normally use smooth pearl for colour but
    >> each of the boxes did say they were Epson 2100 compatable. The
    >> literature says that its suitable for either dye or pigment. (I'm
    >> still using OEM inks)
    >>
    >> When I used Epson paper it was a much better print and using the
    >> Ilford maybe still be unsuitable even though its Galerie?
    >>
    > Smooth is okay - no problems. I havn't tried smooth gloss / B&W.
    > Dye ink looks nice on that paper - but it will fade very fast.
    > I suggest you have a look here:
    > http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/index.php
    > There is a forum for the Epson R1800. One thread is titled "Perfect B&W
    > prints from the R1800" and has workflow instructions for how the poster
    > got neutral charcoal and sepia toned B&W.
    > There are a couple of other threads that may be of interest.
    > If it was me, and I was sure I had the profiles and workflow correct but
    > still had the problem, I would do the following:
    > Head alignment - it's important to do this.
    > Nozzle clean.
    > If all above okay I would probably cheat by making a small greyscale
    > image, adjusting the hue slightly in bands on the image, print it,
    > select the one I liked best, and use it for reference.

    Thanks thats the best suggestion Ill go there and see what they say.

    Its been interesting in trying all the odd papers I have - Kodak Ilford
    Epson and Fuji. making a 6x4 on the R1800 then one on the R210
    completely different results even tried the 1270. One thing I did notice
    was the R210 on Epson Premium Gloss looked good.

    rm

    <icemomochachaforum@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I know none of you like spam and this message is spam.
    > However, it does not mean we don't have good products that will fulfill
    > your need.
    >
    > We do have bulk ink systems for Epson r800 and 1800, etc.
    > Just spend a minute to click the following link won't take too much of
    > your time.
    > In return, you may find out this product will save you quite a lot.
    >
    > http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R800
    >

    > www.inkrepublic.com

    Hi.

    Do you provide colour Profiles for your Ink System system, or are the
    Colours so accurate that the "Canned" ones from the Paper Makers will still
    work?

    Roy G

    Rob wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >
    >> Rob wrote:

    >>> Ilford Galerie Smooth high gloss.
    >>>
    >>> I just combined the boxes and normally use smooth pearl for colour
    >>> but each of the boxes did say they were Epson 2100 compatable. The
    >>> literature says that its suitable for either dye or pigment. (I'm
    >>> still using OEM inks)
    >>>
    >>> When I used Epson paper it was a much better print and using the
    >>> Ilford maybe still be unsuitable even though its Galerie?
    >>>
    >> Smooth is okay - no problems. I havn't tried smooth gloss / B&W.
    >> Dye ink looks nice on that paper - but it will fade very fast.
    >> I suggest you have a look here:
    >> http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/index.php
    >> There is a forum for the Epson R1800. One thread is titled "Perfect
    >> B&W prints from the R1800" and has workflow instructions for how the
    >> poster got neutral charcoal and sepia toned B&W.
    >> There are a couple of other threads that may be of interest.
    >> If it was me, and I was sure I had the profiles and workflow correct
    >> but still had the problem, I would do the following:
    >> Head alignment - it's important to do this.
    >> Nozzle clean.
    >> If all above okay I would probably cheat by making a small greyscale
    >> image, adjusting the hue slightly in bands on the image, print it,
    >> select the one I liked best, and use it for reference.
    >>

    > Thanks thats the best suggestion Ill go there and see what they say.
    >
    > Its been interesting in trying all the odd papers I have - Kodak Ilford
    > Epson and Fuji. making a 6x4 on the R1800 then one on the R210
    > completely different results even tried the 1270. One thing I did notice
    > was the R210 on Epson Premium Gloss looked good.
    >
    > rm

    Epson have released a "White Paper on Print Permanence" which you can
    download from:
    http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/Epson_Print_Permanence_2005.pdf
    There is some information about the technology of paper coatings for
    inkjet printers in that which is quite interesting.

    icemomochachaforum@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I know none of you like spam and this message is spam.
    > However, it does not mean we don't have good products that will fulfill
    > your need.
    >
    > We do have bulk ink systems for Epson r800 and 1800, etc.
    > Just spend a minute to click the following link won't take too much of
    > your time.
    > In return, you may find out this product will save you quite a lot.
    >
    > http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R800
    >

    > www.inkrepublic.com

    I did go there from http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/index.php this forum and
    it looked interesting. In fact they spoke about the need for a different
    cover for the cartridges as the original pinched the lines. Is this
    supplied with the 1800 kit?

    Speaking of CIS I have just picked one up new for the R210 for $63AUD
    ($48 USD) this is a wholesale price - others are available plus about
    25%. Haven't installed it yet but do intend as soon as my inks are empty.

    The kit includes 6x 25mls ink which pour into refillable external tanks.
    Its a neat kit.

    At this price its far below the general pricing of similar kits.

    rm

    Ink Republic has requested that individual distributors STOP sending
    spam, as it damages the company's reputation. SO please stop.

    I have no association with Ink Republic, in fact, I do not even own any
    of their products, but I have been getting good reports from most people
    who are using their continuous inking systems on Epson printers.

    The advantage is they have designed the system to work similarly to
    Epson's wide carriage professional machines by using an ink damper
    rather than a sponged cartridge.

    I cannot state if the pricing is good value, or if the inks they sell
    should be the ones you use (I believe they rebrand the inks).

    BUT, people who are interested should visit the company's website and
    ignore any direction by their distributors, some of whom, in
    contravention to the company's requests, are spammers.

    I don't think Ink Republic is using gmail (as this poster did), since
    they own their own domain, at least I hope this person isn't from Ink
    Republic, after they promised me they would do everything they could to
    prevent spamming on this group..

    Art

    icemomochachaforum@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I know none of you like spam and this message is spam.
    > However, it does not mean we don't have good products that will fulfill
    > your need.
    >
    > We do have bulk ink systems for Epson r800 and 1800, etc.
    > Just spend a minute to click the following link won't take too much of
    > your time.
    > In return, you may find out this product will save you quite a lot.
    >
    > http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R800
    >

    > www.inkrepublic.com

Printers Epson Peripherals Product