No vista disc how do I upgrade to windows 7

Hello,
ok, I need to clarify. I have an old Dell computer with a really shoddy version of Windows Vista...and of course no 'real' disk. I only have the 'reinstallation' dvd froom Dell. I would like to get the Windows 7 64bit upgrade and install (yes, hardware will support). Can I do that with only the 'reinstallation' dvd? Or am I hosed and have to get the full install Win 7. Thanks for your help
3 answers Last reply
More about vista disc upgrade windows
  1. elisern said:
    Hello,
    ok, I need to clarify. I have an old Dell computer with a really shoddy version of Windows Vista...and of course no 'real' disk. I only have the 'reinstallation' dvd froom Dell. I would like to get the Windows 7 64bit upgrade and install (yes, hardware will support). Can I do that with only the 'reinstallation' dvd? Or am I hosed and have to get the full install Win 7. Thanks for your help

Well, you can use the anytime upgrade from microsoft and upgrade it from vista to win7.

http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=exO&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=anytime+upgrade+from+vista+to+windows+7&oq=anytime+upgrade+from+vista&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v4&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1705l2090l0l3l3l0l2l2l0l296l296l2-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Anytime_Upgrade
  2. elisern said:
    Hello,

No, you do not need to buy the full install of Windows 7. You would be fine with the upgrade media. When installing the upgrade version of windows 7 it will look for a previous installation of windows on your hard drive. Which in your case is windows vista.

So your cool. Just buy the upgrade media of windows 7. Back up all data you want to keep. Change BIOS option to boot from CD. Then follow installation instructions on screen. I recommend choosing the "clean install" when prompted during the installation.

Good luck.
  3. skaz said:
    No, you do not need to buy the full install of Windows 7. You would be fine with the upgrade media. When installing the upgrade version of windows 7 it will look for a previous installation of windows on your hard drive. Which in your case is windows vista.

So your cool. Just buy the upgrade media of windows 7. Back up all data you want to keep. Change BIOS option to boot from CD. Then follow installation instructions on screen. I recommend choosing the "clean install" when prompted during the installation.

Good luck.

thanks...will give it a go :-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Windows Vista Dell