How to determine how many hard drives this server has via ..

Hi,

I have a Compaq ProLiant DL380 G2 running Microsoft Windows 2000
Server 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195. I have two questions:

1. How can I determine the number of hard drives the server has via
the operating system? I'm looking at two areas which make no sense to
me:

A. start -> settings -> control panel -> Administrative Tools ->
Computer Management -> Device Manager -> Disks. This shows 4 entries,
does this mean that there are 4 hard drives?

B. start -> settings -> control panel -> Administrative Tools ->
Computer Management -> storage -> Disk Management. This shows disk 0 -
disk 3, but each disk differs in size, so I believe these are logical
disk drives.

2. There is a Disk Array attached to this server. How can I determine
how many hard drives it contains and what type of RAID setup (5, 0+1)
it is running? Also, how can I determine what is the make and model
number of this disk array?

Thanks in advance!

Regards...

Since hardware arrays are invisible to the operating system you'll need to
either use you array management software or either have a look in your
controller bios.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Rozz Williams" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I have a Compaq ProLiant DL380 G2 running Microsoft Windows 2000
| Server 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195. I have two questions:
|
| 1. How can I determine the number of hard drives the server has via
| the operating system? I'm looking at two areas which make no sense to
| me:
|
| A. start -> settings -> control panel -> Administrative Tools ->
| Computer Management -> Device Manager -> Disks. This shows 4 entries,
| does this mean that there are 4 hard drives?
|
| B. start -> settings -> control panel -> Administrative Tools ->
| Computer Management -> storage -> Disk Management. This shows disk 0 -
| disk 3, but each disk differs in size, so I believe these are logical
| disk drives.
|
| 2. There is a Disk Array attached to this server. How can I determine
| how many hard drives it contains and what type of RAID setup (5, 0+1)
| it is running? Also, how can I determine what is the make and model
| number of this disk array?
|
| Thanks in advance!
|
| Regards...

> Since hardware arrays are invisible to the operating system you'll
> need to either use you array management software or either have a
> look in your controller bios.

....or maybe look inside the cases to be absolutely sure.

Andrew