Accessing \.Usbscan0

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

I have a camera Toshiba PDR-M60 attached to a USB port on my Windows 2000
laptop (Toshiba drivers installed). When I turn the camera on, Control Panel
-> Scanners and Cameras shows device "PDR-M60" and gives the following

PDR-M60 properties:
Manufacturer: Toshiba
On Port: \\.\Usbscan0

When I click on "Test Scanner or Camera" I get: "Your scanner or camera
successfully completed the diagnostic test."

What I can't figure out is how to access that camera on port Usbscan0.
I tried Irfanview and Gimp to acquire through TWAIN, but that shows no
devices. What do I need to do?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

In news:4dd27836.0410080705.7229f05a@posting.google.com,
Trail Dust <trail_1957@yahoo.com> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> I have a camera Toshiba PDR-M60 attached to a USB port on my Windows
> 2000 laptop (Toshiba drivers installed). When I turn the camera on,
> Control Panel -> Scanners and Cameras shows device "PDR-M60" and
> gives the following description:
>
> PDR-M60 properties:
> Manufacturer: Toshiba
> On Port: \\.\Usbscan0
>
> When I click on "Test Scanner or Camera" I get: "Your scanner or
> camera successfully completed the diagnostic test."
>
> What I can't figure out is how to access that camera on port Usbscan0.
> I tried Irfanview and Gimp to acquire through TWAIN, but that shows no
> devices. What do I need to do?

I think you may be confusing your digicam with a web camera.

The camera you mention is at
http://www.steves-digicams.com/toshiba_pdrm60.html and shows a normal
digital camera and as such usually shows up in "My Computer" as an
additional drive from where you can move/copy/delete the images from
juat as you can from any disk drive.

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.hardware (More info?)

Steve Parry [MVP] (k100rs_1990@nospam.hotmail.com) wrote:
> I think you may be confusing your digicam with a web camera.

No, I am not.

> The camera you mention is at
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/toshiba_pdrm60.html
> and shows a normal digital camera and as such usually
> shows up in "My Computer" as an additional drive
> from where you can move/copy/delete the images from
> juat as you can from any disk drive.

"Usually" is the key word here. This particular camera does
not show up in My Computer. My Oly3040 does, but Toshiba
requires special drivers (which I installed) and then attaches
to "Usbscan0" (whatever it is). Then one is supposed to somehow
get the images off it. Which goes back to my question. What
exactly can I use to access that camera once it is visible
as attached to port Usbscan0? I know there was some semi-custom
app which Toshiba distributed on the original CD that came with
the camera. I don't have that CD, and couldn't find that app for
download anywhere, but I figure there has to be a way to access
it using non-proprietary methods.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.hardware (More info?)

Official "Non-proprietary" method is to remove the memory card from the
camera and read it using a USB attached card-reader.

In news:4dd27836.0410081741.7e10cb38@posting.google.com,
Trail Dust <trail_1957@yahoo.com> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> Steve Parry [MVP] (k100rs_1990@nospam.hotmail.com) wrote:
>> I think you may be confusing your digicam with a web camera.
>
> No, I am not.
>
>> The camera you mention is at
>> http://www.steves-digicams.com/toshiba_pdrm60.html
>> and shows a normal digital camera and as such usually
>> shows up in "My Computer" as an additional drive
>> from where you can move/copy/delete the images from
>> juat as you can from any disk drive.
>
> "Usually" is the key word here. This particular camera does
> not show up in My Computer. My Oly3040 does, but Toshiba
> requires special drivers (which I installed) and then attaches
> to "Usbscan0" (whatever it is). Then one is supposed to somehow
> get the images off it. Which goes back to my question. What
> exactly can I use to access that camera once it is visible
> as attached to port Usbscan0? I know there was some semi-custom
> app which Toshiba distributed on the original CD that came with
> the camera. I don't have that CD, and couldn't find that app for
> download anywhere, but I figure there has to be a way to access
> it using non-proprietary methods.

Have you looked at the support info here

http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/drivers.shtml

--

Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<416D3092.7090104@yahoo.com>...
> Official "Non-proprietary" method is to remove the memory card from the
> camera and read it using a USB attached card-reader.

That's true. I am going to do that next. It's just that I was hoping that
I could learn something about Windows in the process. I guess I have. :)

t.