grey bands with HP Laserjet 6L

Hello to everyone, I have a Laser printer HP Laserjet 6L that has this
problem:
In every page I print, left border and right border have a grey band,and the
more I print the more the band become bigger. It's like this: ( * = grey
bands)
________
|*| |*|
|*| |*|
|*| |*|
|*| |*|
------------

I tried to pull-out toner, and I see that at the borders it has some
exceeding powder ,but if I clean that,I can print a couple of clean
pages,and then the problem restarts.
Do you think that this is a toner problem or a printer problem? I think that
the device that should clean the powder in eccess isn't working,but before
buying a new toner I would like to better understand the problem. Do you
have some ideas?
Thank you for your replies.
Sorry for the spelling,I'm Italian.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Ma" <rtor@tiscali.it> wrote:
>Hello to everyone, I have a Laser printer HP Laserjet 6L that has this
>problem:
>In every page I print, left border and right border have a grey band,and the
>more I print the more the band become bigger. It's like this: ( * = grey
>bands)
>________
>|*| |*|
>|*| |*|
>|*| |*|
>|*| |*|
>------------
>
>I tried to pull-out toner, and I see that at the borders it has some
>exceeding powder ,but if I clean that,I can print a couple of clean
>pages,and then the problem restarts.
>Do you think that this is a toner problem or a printer problem? I think that
>the device that should clean the powder in eccess isn't working,but before
>buying a new toner I would like to better understand the problem. Do you
>have some ideas?
>Thank you for your replies.
>Sorry for the spelling,I'm Italian.

Hi
If I understand you correctly, when you clean the excess toner off the drum in
the cartridge the problem goes away for a few pages. If that is true then most
likely the wiper blade in the toner cartridge has failed, a new toner cartridge
will fix that.
Tony

Hello,
yes, you understood correctly, it's the same problem I think.
Thank you for your opinion.
Bye