iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
ok i just finished my new conroe build. The basic specs are as follows

Core 2 e6400
msi 975x v2 mobo
2 gigs of ram
msi 7600gt

now i have it up and running in xp but it seems to be runnign slow.
for example it took me 11.5 minutes to burn a cd. On my old pentium 4 530 it took maybe 3/3.5. Anyone know what could be causing the slowdown.

optionexplicit

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I had a similar problem but instead of trying to burn a cd I was trying to rip it to the harddrive. It was taking like 10-15 minutes. So I checked the cables and it turned out that I had my 2 optical drives plugged into the yellow ide channel when they needed to be plugged into the blue one. The yellow ide can only support 1 device. So check and make sure your burner is plugged into the blue ide port. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll try to help some more.

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
they were plugged into the yellow one, i switched them, however im on my last blank, so does anyone have any idea of how i can test this, if this doesnt work?

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
ok, it fixed it, the timer says about 3 minutes to burn, but i can tell its going much faster than that, also before when id try to burn my entire system would lag, and now its not. thanks a ton.

and thank god for tom's hardware and its forum!

optionexplicit

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Wow i've never heard of an IDE being limited to just one drive. That's wierd. Did this information come from the manufacture?

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything. I would like to know where this info came from for futur refrance.

I hadn't either previous to this build. The rounded ide cable included with the mobo has a yellow end so I figured I would plug it into the yellow port. However, it was taking for ever to copy cds and my system would lag. So I knew something was messed up. In the manual it says "IDE2 only can connect a Master drive." I think its controlled by the jmicron controller which after I googled it found out that it can only support 1 ide device.

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
the board actually supports 4 ide devices, im running 2 hds on the yellow one fine, i think the yellow one just has trouble with optical drives.

optionexplicit

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
the board actually supports 4 ide devices, im running 2 hds on the yellow one fine, i think the yellow one just has trouble with optical drives.

Oh cool I didn't know that. Thats good to know because now I can put in another one of my old drives to transfer data over. I figured it didn't since it couldn't support my 2 optical drives and because of what the manual said. Thanks I'll try it out.

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
i couldnt get it to support even one optical drive, this might also explain why it took so long for windows to install. this was only my second build with entirely new parts (ive done stuff like heatsink replacement, and chassis replacement that still requires rebuilding), so i guess after like 50 builds, any problem i run into will be expected.

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
lol, valid point, before the whole cd drive fiasco, i couldnt boot into windows because i had an irq conflict between my pci and pci-ex card (3 displays), and i spent an hour trying to figure out what was wrong.