Sep 2, 2006
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe with WiFi <-most recent bios
1gb of G.Skill DDR2 667
ATI Radeon x1800XT
Aspire 550 watt powersupply.

:cry:

Hey,
I've tried everything to get my E6600 to overclock but nothing will work. I have used AI Nos, manual settings, and AI suite, but it won't even go up 1 mhz. I kinda think its my power supply, please let me know.

This is after I set the AI NOS to 10% overclock in bios

Grated

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Don't worry, it's not the PSU.

Do it in the BIOS and not with the supplied programs from ASUS (the overclocking).

I have mine currently running @ 2.92Ghz (kinda the same setup except more ram and faster (800Mhz)). FSB: 324Mhz (make sure you change the ram settings or these will block your overclocking).

When I have more time I'm going to try to hit FSB of 400Mhz :p, Also waiting to get my new cooler to go higher :)

Zaekeon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Nothing is wrong. You just need to use the BIOS to tweakt he FSB or voltages. AI NOS is an overclocking system that only engages when the cpu is at max load.

McShizerz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
When I try to increase the FSB, the computer will completly shut down for 5 seconds, and boot into windows operating at 2.40 ghz. I have only gotten it to retain the FSB number a couple of times (when it doesn't completely shut down, it will just reboot). I don't know what is going on, on my old p4 system I was able to overclock 600 mhz without all of this other stuff happening.

So basically, when I overclock even the smallest bit, my computer will shut down for 5 seconds and boot up at the default FSB of 266mhz.

Thank you for all the help so far!

few ideas:

1. What is the reported cpu temp in BIOS? Perhaps the HSF is not seated correctly and the system is overheating?

2. Try setting RAM speed to something rather safe and conservative while you attempt to OC.

3. Raise FSB in very small increments, a few mhz at a time, and gradually build up to desired speed.

4. Any special settings in BIOS to enable/foster overclocking? I've never tried your board so I don't know, but some BIOS have special settings for OC.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
When I try to increase the FSB, the computer will completly shut down for 5 seconds, and boot into windows operating at 2.40 ghz. I have only gotten it to retain the FSB number a couple of times (when it doesn't completely shut down, it will just reboot). I don't know what is going on, on my old p4 system I was able to overclock 600 mhz without all of this other stuff happening.

So basically, when I overclock even the smallest bit, my computer will shut down for 5 seconds and boot up at the default FSB of 266mhz.

Thank you for all the help so far!

You might need to lock the speed of the PCI and PCI-X ports. I have an older MSI AGP board and my overclokcing is hampered by the fact I can't lock the AGP/PCI bus speeds.

ALso check your memory timmings. Your motherboard should have an option to select which speed you want the Ram to run at, instead of leaving on Auto lock it at the speed you memory was designed for. Also try increaseing the FSB in 5 Mhz steps i.e. overclock slowly.

McShizerz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
When I try to set the timing manually, the system will shut down.
When I try to set the PCI-X speed, the system will shut down.

The CPU is at 39 degress celcius
The motherboard is at 36 degrees.
(This is at 312x9, 2808 mhz)

After fiddling around with the FSB, I was able to get it to boot at 312, but this is very temperamental. The first couple of times I booted at 312x9, the computer would shut down.

So basically:
I can't adjust the FSB (except on this rare occasion)
I can't change the memory timing or anything related to that.
I can't use AI NOs.

All of these things will shutdown the system and revert everything to their default settings.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
When I try to set the timing manually, the system will shut down.
When I try to set the PCI-X speed, the system will shut down.

The CPU is at 39 degress celcius
The motherboard is at 36 degrees.
(This is at 312x9, 2808 mhz)

After fiddling around with the FSB, I was able to get it to boot at 312, but this is very temperamental. The first couple of times I booted at 312x9, the computer would shut down.

So basically:
I can't adjust the FSB (except on this rare occasion)
I can't change the memory timing or anything related to that.
I can't use AI NOs.

All of these things will shutdown the system and revert everything to their default settings.

Well there are not guarantees in overclocking, it could be you motherboard it could be your CPU that’s holding you back, but by what you described it sounds like the motherboard is the culprit.. If it was me I would sabotage my motherboard and RMA and get another one and see if that helped, but then again I'll do anything to get a few more extra MHz.

McShizerz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Hey guys,
My system is a lot more stable now. It hasn't shut down at all today. Maybe it was just new system jitters?