2 Opteron 245 or an Intel Core 2 duo???

ottolenz3535

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Hello there

My dad wants to buy a new super powerfull computer and he says that a Sun A71-NPZ2-AQ-4GB-DS it´s a good option because it has 2 x Single Core Opterons 245 with 4gb ram. This configuration it´s as you may know too pricey. But i saw, for example that a Dell Xps Platinum it´s better, includes an Intel Core 2 duo and more hardware than the Workstation and it´s cheaper too, now...which one is faster? the Intel core 2 duo or the Workstation with 2 Single Core Opterons? i ask this because i found no benchmarks between these CPUs.

Thanks in advance!
Otto

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Check if the opteron system support upgrade with dual core opterons (as 870 or 270 ) . Dual opteron will be supperior in 3D modelling , but for Photoshop editing , large memory , large scratch HD will be the difference and both conroe or dual opteron will perform similar with same setups. If you use other softwares as catia , autocad and others for 3d modeling... go for server setups, but dual core opterons or dual core xeons are better than any conroe systems in long run as servers board will let you set up more memory (ecc registered) for reliable service ... Check your priorities as servers will let you have a good time on gamming...but will never be just like a crisp conroe with fast ddr2 memory... but they will not fail your files due memory issues..

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hmm... well for that I'm going to say that a C2D has the price/performance curve there. Optys will be fast no doubt, but for the price a C2D will be your best bet. Given any thought to xeon 51xx though?

But the question now is for gaming.... opties and xeons on the DP level don't generally game well (after all, what game can take advantage of all those cores?). If you go with a C2D you'll get decent photoshop/professional benchies and great gaming... if you go DP you'll get great PS/Prof performance but only decent gaming... priorities I guess.

ottolenz3535

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Well that´s right xeons look better now.

I can afford (maybe) a Dell Dimension 690 with 2x Intel Xeon 5150 (2.66GHz) (dual core) with a geforce 3500. at MCAD online they say it´s faster as a Sun Workstation ultra 20 M2