Sign in with
Your question

X1900/X800 XL Monitors Not Working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2006 7:52:39 PM

(Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place)

I got brand new:
4GB RAM
Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe 939 Radeon Xpress Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
And X1900 Crossfire Edition.

I didnt realise the X1900CE was only for when you actually do the crossfire function. So whilst I save up to get the X1900XTX; Im using my brothers X800 XL. Every component is brand spanking new, the problem is that my monitor wont display anything!

No bios is coming up at all. Can anyone suggest what is going wrong? Are those components even fully compatable?

Please help me

Thanks, Mark.
September 2, 2006 7:58:33 PM

Quote:
(Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place)

I got brand new:
4GB RAM
Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe 939 Radeon Xpress Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
And X1900 Crossfire Edition.

I didnt realise the X1900CE was only for when you actually do the crossfire function. So whilst I save up to get the X1900XTX; Im using my brothers X800 XL. Every component is brand spanking new, the problem is that my monitor wont display anything!

No bios is coming up at all. Can anyone suggest what is going wrong? Are those components even fully compatable?

Please help me

Thanks, Mark.

When you press the power on button on your case does the system powerup and just show a blank screen? If you are using windows XP, it doesn't support 4 gigs of RAM. What kind of RAM do you have?

Try using one DIMM of RAM only in Slot one on your MB. Take the other 3 gigs out.
September 2, 2006 8:09:37 PM

Well everythings brand new, so I havent even had the oppotunity to install an OS. But when I do, I had intended on installing Windows XP Pro SP2.

But when I the machine is powered up, everything seems to be working... by the sounds of it.
Related resources
September 2, 2006 8:32:01 PM

Quote:
Well everythings brand new, so I havent even had the oppotunity to install an OS. But when I do, I had intended on installing Windows XP Pro SP2.

But when I the machine is powered up, everything seems to be working... by the sounds of it.

You might try unplugging unnecesary components and try to get to BIOS post. Unplug the HD and Optical drives. Don't remove them just unplug them from the power supply. Unplug case fans too. Just leave the CPU with HSF, one stick of RAM only in number one and the video card. Just try to get the board to post to BIOS like this. You can shut down and plug all the other unnecessary componets to get there later. You might reseat the video card while your at it.
September 2, 2006 8:46:11 PM

:? ok, I unplugged the power to everything except the liquid cooling and motherboard. And still nothing on the monitor (and I've tried both a CRT VGA and a TFT DVI monitor)
September 2, 2006 8:48:08 PM

Quote:
:? ok, I unplugged the power to everything except the liquid cooling and motherboard. And still nothing on the monitor (and I've tried both a CRT VGA and a TFT DVI monitor)

Do you have the six pin power cord plugged into the 1800xt from the power supply? Be sure and use only one DIMM of RAM, take the other 3 DIMMS out. Also,vey important...do you have the 4 pin 12v plugged in from the PSU to the processor?
September 2, 2006 9:28:39 PM

The processor doesn't have a 4 pin 12v power supply for me to plug into. The processor just goes into the its slot.

And my graphics card is an X800xl (all in wonder) not an 1800xt.

Really appriciate your input on this stuff badge.
September 2, 2006 9:35:53 PM

Quote:
The processor doesn't have a 4 pin 12v power supply for me to plug into. The processor just goes into the its slot.

Here's your board. Sure it does have a 4 pin 12v power supply plug in to the processor. Without that 4 pin plugged in to the MB you won't power up.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=10...

2 x USB 2.0 connector supports additional 4 USB 2.0 ports
2 x IEEE1394a connectors
5 x SATA connectors
2 x IDE connectors
1 x Floppy disk drive connector
1 x GAME/MIDI connector
1 x CPU/ 2 x Chassis/ 1 x Power FAN connectors
1 x COM connector
24-pin ATX Power connector
4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
Chassis Intrusion
CD audio in connector
Front panel High Definition Audio connector
System panel connector
September 2, 2006 9:40:56 PM

Quote:

If you can open this picture of your board, I believe the 4 pin 12v power plug in is just below your CPU socket. Your CPU has to have the power from that 4 pin 12v plug in from your PSU in order to power up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=13%2D...
September 2, 2006 11:04:59 PM

ah, gotcha. In that case, the processor is (and has always been) plugged in.

One thing I did test out. Normally PC's should beep once when a it starts; this is to signal everythings plugged in. On my PC, there are NO beeps what's so ever. I took ALL the RAM DIMM's out and suddenly the beeps when nuts. (repetative double beeps).

Do you know what it means when there no beeps on boot up? because I'm pretty sure that will be the problem. Im guessing its the processor :s
September 2, 2006 11:22:26 PM

Quote:
ah, gotcha. In that case, the processor is (and has always been) plugged in.

One thing I did test out. Normally PC's should beep once when a it starts; this is to signal everythings plugged in. On my PC, there are NO beeps what's so ever. I took ALL the RAM DIMM's out and suddenly the beeps when nuts. (repetative double beeps).

Do you know what it means when there no beeps on boot up? because I'm pretty sure that will be the problem. Im guessing its the processor :s

Try resetting the CMOS (The BIOS to defaualt). Read in your manual. Resst the CMOS jumper on the MB. I believe you just move the pin to the reset position, then place the pin back to the original positon. Removing the battery should accompolish the same thing. This procedure could do the trick.

You are right in that if the processor were bad, the machine would run and have a blank screen.
September 2, 2006 11:41:51 PM

ooook, this is strange. I reset the CMOS, then using this an a beep guide:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

the pc done 1 long and 3 short beeps. That's because my graphics card wasnt even in. So I reset the CMOS again with the graphics card in, and then it done the standered one beep after about 20 seconds. But still nothing on the monitor.

Then after another reboot... no beep. Could it be a PSU issue? or is it looking more and more like my processor is screwed? :cry: 
September 3, 2006 1:17:51 AM

Quote:
ooook, this is strange. I reset the CMOS, then using this an a beep guide:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

the pc done 1 long and 3 short beeps. That's because my graphics card wasnt even in. So I reset the CMOS again with the graphics card in, and then it done the standered one beep after about 20 seconds. But still nothing on the monitor.

Then after another reboot... no beep. Could it be a PSU issue? or is it looking more and more like my processor is screwed? :cry: 

You did mention you have liquid cooling. You didn't mention your power supply brand, watts or total 12v voltage. So the power supply is new and untested by you too?

You are trying the one stick of RAM instead of 4 gigs filling all four DIMM slots. You never mentioned the Brand or any other specs of your RAM. RAM is often the cause of this type of problem.

You did install the AMD x2 processor correctly by aligning the pins correctly to the 939 socket and locking it down, right? The only way to trouble shoot any more extensively than you have is to have other spare parts with whih to work. How about your new ati 1900 card? Have you tried it yet? May be the time to do so.
September 3, 2006 11:04:42 AM

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe 939 Radeon Xpress
https://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?ASU-A...

400MHz 184Pin 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V
https://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?RAM-4...

ThermalTake Big Water SE
https://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?TT-BI...

POWER SUPPLY 550w ATX
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=68...

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4800+
http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?St...

Thats all my specs.

I have been testing my PC with just one RAM DIMM since you first recommended it. The other three are put away in their static bags.

The Processor can only go in one way, and it went in smoothly. And the X1900 graphics card I have is untestable at the moment, because its the crossfire edition. So whilst I save up for the XTX or XT im using my brothers X800 XL all in wonder.
September 3, 2006 3:24:20 PM

Before when I took all the RAM out, the machine beeped like crazy when I powered it up. I took the processor out to see what beeps I could get... i got nothing. With the processor out, I thought I'd take the RAM out again too. When I booted the machine back on no beeps happened again.

Is there a bootup sequence that checks certain components in a certain order?
September 3, 2006 4:00:30 PM

Quote:
Before when I took all the RAM out, the machine beeped like crazy when I powered it up. I took the processor out to see what beeps I could get... i got nothing. With the processor out, I thought I'd take the RAM out again too. When I booted the machine back on no beeps happened again.

I don't know the precise beep codes for you Mb unfortunately. My self I would try an entirely different DIMM of RAM, maybe get one temporarily from your brother. Use any compatible DIMM you can find. Next I would try that ati 1900 video card. You are going t have to swap out some parts now to find the problem.

Here is a system check to see if your MB is defective this courtesy of 440bx:

Disconnect everything from your motherboard except,

a. Power supply
b. PS2 Keyboard and PS2 Mouse.
c. Power Switch and Power light indicator
d. External speaker (if it uses it, I don't think it does but just in case)
e. CPU, heatsink and fan

In other words, there should not be any IDE cables plugged into the motherboard nor any other cable whatsoever for USB ports or any other interface provided by the motherboard. That also means, no video card or any other card on the motherboard. Nothing but what is explicitly listed above.

Note that the *memory* should *NOT* be on the motherboard either. Keep reading you'll know why.

Second,

Power your system ON.

You should hear your system emitting one long beep every other second. If it does not do that then your motherboard is defective (it is not detecting that there is no memory!)

Quote:

Once your computer boots up there is a system check done by the settings in the BIOS. Your system has not posted to the BIOS yet.
September 3, 2006 4:21:15 PM

Quote:
The Processor can only go in one way, and it went in smoothly. And the X1900 graphics card I have is untestable at the moment, because its the crossfire edition. So whilst I save up for the XTX or XT im using my brothers X800 XL all in wonder

Hardware is the reason your system will not post to BIOS. Obviously, you don't have any software installed. Your BIOS is a chip on your MB, that's why you only need the CPU/HSF, memory and video card to post to BIOS.

You mentioned you have a water cooling system. So, you have started the computer up and everything has powered on, right. The computer has sat there powered up, but it just doesn't show anything on the screen and won't post? Is the water cooling system powered on too? Or is the CPU sitting there running without a fan or water cooling? You may have damaged the CPU doing that.

So, your problem is with one of the following:

CPU
MB
RAM
Video Card
PSU
September 3, 2006 4:41:15 PM

Badge, i done everything you said... and I had the crazy beeping sound. ALTHOUH... when i put one DIMM of RAM in the blue slot A1 I get no beeps. When I put it in the blue slot B1 i get the crazy beeps.

To add more confusion to all this... With the RAM in blue slot B1, I quickly booted up my machine for a few seconds to see if my monitor would respond... without the heatblock on the CPU. With that off, I saw the first signs of life appear on my monitor! I couldn't look at it long, but from what I did see, it mentioned that the BIOS needed to do a recovery, and it started checking my input devices (floppy, CD-R, and USB).

Before my CPU could over heat I shut the machine down. After everything cooled off (to the touch) I tried just holding the waterblock over the processor. NOTHING happened. I tried again without the waterblock again, and I got the BIOS recovery stuff on the monitor again.

I figured I might have been applying too much pressure with the block. Because of what StrangeStranger mentioned, I done everything all over again, but with the x1900 CE... nothing happened to my monitor.

I'm now taking my processor to my brothers house, and I will see what happens with his machine. If the processor works on my bro's PC... then its my motherboard. If the processor doesn't work on my bro's PC, then its the processor. Would you agree?
September 3, 2006 4:58:14 PM

Quote:
Badge, i done everything you said... and I had the crazy beeping sound. ALTHOUH... when i put one DIMM of RAM in the blue slot A1 I get no beeps. When I put it in the blue slot B1 i get the crazy beeps.

To add more confusion to all this... With the RAM in blue slot B1, I quickly booted up my machine for a few seconds to see if my monitor would respond... without the heatblock on the CPU. With that off, I saw the first signs of life appear on my monitor! I couldn't look at it long, but from what I did see, it mentioned that the BIOS needed to do a recovery, and it started checking my input devices (floppy, CD-R, and USB).

Before my CPU could over heat I shut the machine down. After everything cooled off (to the touch) I tried just holding the waterblock over the processor. NOTHING happened. I tried again without the waterblock again, and I got the BIOS recovery stuff on the monitor again.

I figured I might have been applying too much pressure with the block. Because of what StrangeStranger mentioned, I done everything all over again, but with the x1900 CE... nothing happened to my monitor.

I'm now taking my processor to my brothers house, and I will see what happens with his machine. If the processor works on my bro's PC... then its my motherboard. If the processor doesn't work on my bro's PC, then its the processor. Would you agree?

I think it may be your RAM causing the problem. That and your processor has no cooling right. Sorry if I don't completely understand the situation. When you put the RAM in slot one nothing happens. I would get a different DIMM of RAM (some other RAM than you are using) and also possibly install the Heatsink and fan that came with the processor. After you get the machine going you can install the water cooling.

Sure, you can install the procesor in another machine. Be sure that machine's BIOS supports the X2 4800 dual core.

Please let me know how this goes.
September 3, 2006 4:59:51 PM

Quote:
tbh i would just use the stadard HSF that came with the processor and leave water cooling till everything is up and running and tested.

Are you me? :D  Hahahaha! yeah I would too.
September 3, 2006 5:03:25 PM

Quote:
i am your father, you know it to be true :lol: 

No but, I have a lot of Scottish blood lad. I ran with Mel Gibson in Braveheart.
September 3, 2006 7:44:22 PM

Ok, I'm pretty sure I've sussed it... but not solved it.

My brother pretty much has an identical PC to mine, only all his components are basically one verson below mine.

Having checked everything was compatable online I then replaced his processor, RAM, and graphics card with mine. It worked beautifully *cries*. Which ultimatly means it has to be the motherboard. And being the foolish fool that I am, I didn't keep the box for it.

Unless you have any more suggestions?

You've both been a great help, thank you! Now, it is time to put my non-working PC back under the desk, and carry on using my pittiful excuse for a PC... until pay day!
September 3, 2006 8:19:17 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'm pretty sure I've sussed it... but not solved it.

My brother pretty much has an identical PC to mine, only all his components are basically one verson below mine.

Having checked everything was compatable online I then replaced his processor, RAM, and graphics card with mine. It worked beautifully *cries*. Which ultimatly means it has to be the motherboard. And being the foolish fool that I am, I didn't keep the box for it.

Unless you have any more suggestions?

You've both been a great help, thank you! Now, it is time to put my non-working PC back under the desk, and carry on using my pittiful excuse for a PC... until pay day!

Yeah, if a new or different MB solves the problem that would be great. I don't know about throwing the box away. RMA the board to ASUS, they don't require the box it came in to do that. Meanwhle, get another board.
!