Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Problem: Can't open any folders, IE, Win Explorer, Cntl Pa..

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Desktops
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 6:03:03 PM

In normal operating mode when I click on any of these I see the window pop up
for a split second then disappear. The desktop goes blank for a second with
only the desktop image showing. Then a second later the desktop is
repopulated.
I cannot open them from the command prompt either.

I can access any files ok by clicking on them or once I navigate to them
through a program, like word. Also the folders are accessible through Safe
Mode. My internet and folder browsing work fine with Netscape...

More about : problem open folders win explorer cntl

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:00:02 PM

"Brandon Rothe" wrote:
> In normal operating mode when I click on any of these I see
> the window pop up
> for a split second then disappear. The desktop goes blank for
> a second with
> only the desktop image showing. Then a second later the
> desktop is
> repopulated.
> I cannot open them from the command prompt either.
>
> I can access any files ok by clicking on them or once I
> navigate to them
> through a program, like word. Also the folders are
> accessible through Safe
> Mode. My internet and folder browsing work fine with
> Netscape...

I got the same problem for my XP Home PC. With this probelm, I cannot
open any folder, nor access any Control Panel icons.

I am not sure if the problem is related to the file system. It seems
that the problem is related to explorer.exe (or the DLL it is usiing).
When I invoke explorer.exe, I got the same problem as described by the
Minimize mode (by changing its icon properties), I can get it invoked
and sit on the Task Bar (and had apparently done nothing useful yet).
However, as soon as I try to un-minimze or maximize to run the program
(or to get hold of the screen), it will flash and then dies, just as
described.

When I look at the Event Log, I found something like:
Type: Error
Event ID: 10009
DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer ABCDDC using any of
the configured protocols.

Unfortunately, it does not seem to make much sense to me as I am
currently running standalone (though networking has been enabled). I
cannot bring up the Control Panel to look at the service setting to do
more trouble-shooting.

I tried to reload Windows XP Home, and then install SP2. The behavior
is the same though. The problem still persists.

I am able to use Internet Explorer to do some degree of directory
navigation. The CMD windows and MKS sh and ls does works very well so
I tend to think it is not a file system problem. None of my directory
path is excessively long (fails even in root directory).

Thanks in advance for any hints...

-techie-

--
Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request