Problem: Can't open any folders, IE, Win Explorer, Cntl Pa..

In normal operating mode when I click on any of these I see the window pop up
for a split second then disappear. The desktop goes blank for a second with
only the desktop image showing. Then a second later the desktop is
repopulated.
I cannot open them from the command prompt either.

I can access any files ok by clicking on them or once I navigate to them
through a program, like word. Also the folders are accessible through Safe
Mode. My internet and folder browsing work fine with Netscape...
1 answer Last reply
More about problem open folders explorer cntl

    "Brandon Rothe" wrote:
    > In normal operating mode when I click on any of these I see
    > the window pop up
    > for a split second then disappear. The desktop goes blank for
    > a second with
    > only the desktop image showing. Then a second later the
    > desktop is
    > repopulated.
    > I cannot open them from the command prompt either.
    >
    > I can access any files ok by clicking on them or once I
    > navigate to them
    > through a program, like word. Also the folders are
    > accessible through Safe
    > Mode. My internet and folder browsing work fine with
    > Netscape...

    I got the same problem for my XP Home PC. With this probelm, I cannot
    open any folder, nor access any Control Panel icons.

    I am not sure if the problem is related to the file system. It seems
    that the problem is related to explorer.exe (or the DLL it is usiing).
    When I invoke explorer.exe, I got the same problem as described by the
    Minimize mode (by changing its icon properties), I can get it invoked
    and sit on the Task Bar (and had apparently done nothing useful yet).
    However, as soon as I try to un-minimze or maximize to run the program
    (or to get hold of the screen), it will flash and then dies, just as
    described.

    When I look at the Event Log, I found something like:
    Type: Error
    Event ID: 10009
    DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer ABCDDC using any of
    the configured protocols.

    Unfortunately, it does not seem to make much sense to me as I am
    currently running standalone (though networking has been enabled). I
    cannot bring up the Control Panel to look at the service setting to do
    more trouble-shooting.

    I tried to reload Windows XP Home, and then install SP2. The behavior
    is the same though. The problem still persists.

    I am able to use Internet Explorer to do some degree of directory
    navigation. The CMD windows and MKS sh and ls does works very well so
    I tend to think it is not a file system problem. None of my directory
    path is excessively long (fails even in root directory).

    Thanks in advance for any hints...

    -techie-

    --
    Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request