Sign in with
Your question

2 RAID Arrays with 1 controller??

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2006 8:29:48 PM

Hi, im wondering if I can have 2 RAIDs on a single controller.

What I would like to do is buy a motherboard with 8 SATA interfaces, and run 2 10k rpm drives for my OS and 6 7200s for storage.

Is this possible?

More about : raid arrays controller

September 2, 2006 8:52:03 PM

Haven't tried it, but you can get a controller card pretty cheaply, so even if you can't run 2 from the board it won't be difficult to do. That has the added benefit of not having the array chained to the MB, so you can move the controller and disks to another machine without losing the array.
September 3, 2006 7:55:38 AM

I didnt realise i wouldnt be able to move the raid in the future (didnt really think about it) but buying an 8 port sata raid controller here is very expensive.
Related resources
September 3, 2006 8:41:57 AM

Yea its gonna be expensive to do what you want to do.
Its not really consumer equipment so they expect businesses to buy that stuff.
Why dont you just get a NAS ? get a decent nas and put two monster hdds in there for storage.Not only will it be cheaper but you can access it from any computer on your network. Moving it to another computer wont be necessary.
September 3, 2006 4:38:59 PM

Ok.. thanks for all the replies so far, but does anyone have a definative answer to the original question? Can i run 2 arrays from the same RAID capable motherboard with 8 ports? or can i only run one from it?

what i want is 2 small (74gb) 10k rpm drives for the OS and 6 big fat drives for storage.

thanks
September 3, 2006 5:16:18 PM

Unfortunately, there is only 1 chipset that offers 6x sata drives on the mother board, the nforce 5xx series. If you bought a add on card, like a lsi 150-6 or the 380-8x , just from experience, those cards allow you to have multiple raid configs. For instance, the 2x drives mirrored or striped, and the rest of the drives in a raid 5 config.

Those cards also allow, you to have 6 300 gb drives. use 20gb from each drive in a raid 0 config, and the 280 gb left from each drive, in a raid 5.

if this is for home, use, i would go with 2 different controllers. 1 on board, 1 in a pci-e slot or pci slot. On a side note, unless you have a pci-x slot, i would just stay with the 6port onboard, and use a 2 port pci slot..
September 4, 2006 4:10:07 AM

So, out of my post, you just say i am wrong, and prove that the ich8-r is superior. Superior to what, the 5xx series chipset?
It is not superior to the lsi card.
BTW poster, is this for just storing files, or will this storage be used for serious Disk I/O for something?[/quote]
September 4, 2006 5:55:24 PM

Quote:
So, out of my post, you just say i am wrong, and prove that the ich8-r is superior. Superior to what, the 5xx series chipset?
It is not superior to the lsi card.
BTW poster, is this for just storing files, or will this storage be used for serious Disk I/O for something?
[/quote]

Simply Files.

The 2 fast drives is simply for speed, the 6 slower drives for storage/redundancy
!