Myst Masterpiece stops after chapter 1 on w2k

....at least, I suppose it's the end of chapter one. I was walking
around the island, looked into the "clock tower" and so on. Finally,
those teeth wheels on the hill above the harbour opened and presented
a book to me. I take the book and open it. A film starts, showing a
flight around an island. The film loops, it never stops. When I click
on the page of the book, Myst shuts down without any comment and I'm
back on my W2k-Desktop.

Ubisoft says "bad luck, you shouldn't buy a game for W95/98 if you are
running w2k".

Any hints??

Thanks, Frank

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does Win2k have the ability to run it in Win98 compatibility mode? That's
how I got it to work on WinXP.

"Frank-M." <framiboe@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> ...at least, I suppose it's the end of chapter one. I was walking
> around the island, looked into the "clock tower" and so on. Finally,
> those teeth wheels on the hill above the harbour opened and presented
> a book to me. I take the book and open it. A film starts, showing a
> flight around an island. The film loops, it never stops. When I click
> on the page of the book, Myst shuts down without any comment and I'm
> back on my W2k-Desktop.
>
> Ubisoft says "bad luck, you shouldn't buy a game for W95/98 if you are
> running w2k".
>
> Any hints??
>
> Thanks, Frank

Hi Brad,

to my knowledge w2k doesn't have a w98-compatibilty-mode, since it is
a more serious OS, as far as that is possible as a ms-os.

Any other hint?
Did anybody get Myst running on w2k?

Regards, fmb

"Brad" <gates.bill@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<t0Smc.46407$0H1.4393649@attbi_s54>...
> Does Win2k have the ability to run it in Win98 compatibility mode? That's
> how I got it to work on WinXP.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"more serious"? WinXP Pro is not as "serious" as Win2000? I'd argue that XP
Pro is more "serious" than 2000 and better.

"Brad" <gates.bill@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<mrCnc.60787$kh4.3767753@attbi_s52>...
> "more serious"? WinXP Pro is not as "serious" as Win2000? I'd argue that XP
> Pro is more "serious" than 2000 and better.

You are talking about that OS, which installs itself in a way, that
you can press F8 at boottime and afterwards can logon as administrator
without password?

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well, yes. If you don't setup a password for the admin account. That's end
user stupidity. What difference does it make if they set some default
password or none? Everyone will know the default password anyway. If you
don't add/change the password it's you fault.

Okay, end of discussion. I really don't care what OS you think is better. I
was just trying to help in the first place. Good luck.

zhickel <zhickelremove@hotmailremove.com> wrote in message news:<409F2F56.3010705@hotmailremove.com>...
> ".
> >
> > Any hints??
>

> Go here http://www.mysterium.ch/myst/myst_info_e.html and download the
> Win 2k Myst Masterpiece Edition patch.

Tanks, but doesn't work. Problem stays exactly the same. Any other hints?

"Brad" <gates.bill@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<QQ4oc.69678$0H1.6537220@attbi_s54>...
> Well, yes. If you don't setup a password for the admin account. That's end
> user stupidity. What difference does it make if they set some default
> password or none? Everyone will know the default password anyway. If you
> don't add/change the password it's you fault.
>
> Okay, end of discussion. I really don't care what OS you think is better. I
> was just trying to help in the first place. Good luck.

Brad,

I like a "more serious" OS to ask and force for administrator password
instead of leaving it blank. But I'm with you, we should stop the
discussion in a games group.

Thanks for you hint in first place.
Frank

Frank-M. wrote:
> zhickel <zhickelremove@hotmailremove.com> wrote in message news:<409F2F56.3010705@hotmailremove.com>...
>
>>".
>>
>>>Any hints??
>>

>>Go here http://www.mysterium.ch/myst/myst_info_e.html and download the
>>Win 2k Myst Masterpiece Edition patch.
>

> Tanks, but doesn't work. Problem stays exactly the same. Any other hints?

Here's another, more concise description of compatibility mode in win2k.

.. My Quicktime is 5.0.2. I hope Quicktime is
> backwards-compatible??
>
> Any other hints?

Hahaha. I'm dredging the bottom of the hint barrel here.

Try uninstalling Quicktime, then let the CD install the older version
that comes with the game. There's a lot more written about this on the
various Myst forums.