changing partitioned hard drive to single with reformat

I have a Sony Vaio laptop running WinXP with a 14 gig hard drive. It was
configured with a partition that set approx 5 gig to the primary and 9 to
the extended. It no longer boots correctly and I was not given Windows XP
software to allow me access to the utilities that probably could fix the
booting problem, so I am going to do a reformat according to the Sony
Recovery software and just start over.

I do not want it partitioned, so any ideas if the reformat will start this
machine from scratch and allow me to use the hard drive as a single 14 gig
drive or is the hard drive once partitioned always partitioned? The SOny
software gives me two options- 1. Reformat drive C and install or 2.
Reformat drive C & D and install. I assume that I need to do option 2
because there is a C and D due to the partition. I can probably fumble my
way through the process and since I am starting from scratch if I screw up,
it can always be reformatted again. But any suggestons or advice ahead of
time would be helpful. Thanks,

Hi ... I'm assuming you have a preinstall operating system of windows xp
with a recovery disc cd ... I beleive you will need to delete both
partition and afterward just recreate just one partition , it should provide
that option , once you created the one partition then just install windows
which it should reformat and reinstall the operating system ... But the best
steps to take would be is visit Sony website and see if they have
information on how to perform a reinstallement of windows preinstall
operating systems with just one partition

"Zattack" <nospam@orionfirst.com> wrote in message
>I have a Sony Vaio laptop running WinXP with a 14 gig hard drive. It was
> configured with a partition that set approx 5 gig to the primary and 9 to
> the extended. It no longer boots correctly and I was not given Windows XP
> software to allow me access to the utilities that probably could fix the
> booting problem, so I am going to do a reformat according to the Sony
> Recovery software and just start over.
>
> I do not want it partitioned, so any ideas if the reformat will start this
> machine from scratch and allow me to use the hard drive as a single 14 gig
> drive or is the hard drive once partitioned always partitioned? The SOny
> software gives me two options- 1. Reformat drive C and install or 2.
> Reformat drive C & D and install. I assume that I need to do option 2
> because there is a C and D due to the partition. I can probably fumble my
> way through the process and since I am starting from scratch if I screw
> up,
> it can always be reformatted again. But any suggestons or advice ahead of
> time would be helpful. Thanks,

Hi again ... I just surf their website and found this bit of informatiom

It is recommended to keep the C: and D: partitions to achieve the best
compatibility with VAIO applications

Now i don't know which model and type you have but i just went on whatever
and it gave me that info on top , it also had everything you need to know in
how to reinstall windows , You might want to have a look for yourself

http://www.sonystyle.com/