Nanoose

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
My old APC 650 UPS, which I use to power my gaming computer, just packed it in.

The power in my area is often poor: brownouts, voltage fluctuations and complete power outages several times a year. I am planning to upgrade my gaming computer with a 700W Power Supply and a new high-end (DX10)graphics card. I am not sure if I can get away with simply a power conditioner such as the APC Line-R 1200, which I use for my home entertainment system.

What power conditioner/UPS should I be looking for?

What about the APC Backup UPS RS 1500VA? Is this overkill?

Kenyada

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I use the APC UPS 1500 on my computer rig, and the PowerMax M5100-EX on my home theater system. That combination works well in my area, which is plagued by frequent power outages and major fluctuation in voltage due the the weather and power demand in growing Atlanta.

I don't think the APC 1500 is overkill, because most damage to electronic equipment is caused by the powering up (by the power company) AFTER the blackout. And sometimes, those power ups occur several times in a two-minute span. Those multiple power surges can really put a strain on a computer. The 1500 makes a difference.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Change the batteries on your current UPS for 150USD, tops, and you'll be one happy camper ;)

If you have to upgrade, I still recommend a UPS though, a power cleaner or whatnot doesn't have any batteries to rely on.

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
I also own a 1500 UPS and it rocks. Its funny when all the power goes out and I still have cable modem and can game online still for a long while. Granted they are a little expensive but they last forever. My battery lasted about 7 years before I had to replace it.(Do it at a 3rd party supplier about 50% cheaper).
-][nCiNeRaToR-

sailer

Splendid
Your cable modem goes over telephone lines and so is not effected by eletrical power shortages. That is, of course, unless a power pole carrying both lines doesn't get knocked over by a truck or something.

microgiant

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Cable modems run on cable, not telephone, and usually they use the local power source. So if your whole neighborhood is without power your cable will go out. They have to use local power because in fiber areas fiber optic lines cant carry electricity. So if the power goes out to your house/apartment and your cable is still working its likely not everyone is affected.