Backing up files from My Documents folder

Hello

I have W2000 Professional

How may I schedule to have all the folders/files in My Documents
automatically copied every day to another machine/folder on my LAN.

If this is possible, then the next question would be how would it be
possible to answer Yes To All when told that a file with that name
already exists thank you

Kurb

Your shell script would look something like;
XCOPY "uncsourcepath" "uncdestinationpath" /e /v /y

From a command prompt;
xcopy /?
for other syntax.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"kurb" wrote:

| Hello
|
| I have W2000 Professional
|
| How may I schedule to have all the folders/files in My Documents
| automatically copied every day to another machine/folder on my LAN.
|
| If this is possible, then the next question would be how would it be
| possible to answer Yes To All when told that a file with that name
| already exists thank you
|
| Kurb

Thank you very much for your response.
Dumb questions
1. How do I create the shell script and where do I place
2. How may I schedule this to occur at say 2 a.m evry morning

Thanks
Kurb

"kurb" wrote:
| Thank you very much for your response.
| Dumb questions
| 1. How do I create the shell script and where do I place

* Create and save the file;
-------------------mybackup.cmd---------------------
xcopy "E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents"
\\pcname\C$\Data /e /v /y
Substitute your username for "Administrator" and the destination
computername for "pcname" (note: above command is all one line)

| 2. How may I schedule this to occur at say 2 a.m evry morning
* Use Task Scheduler to schedule mybackup.cmd Make sure you use a user
account and password that has permissions to the resources.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Hello,
you can also use the XXCOPY software (www.xxcopy.com)
It has a very nice feature (/CLONE) tha replace existing files, but also
remove deleted files...
I really like it.

Pascal

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> "kurb" wrote:
> | Thank you very much for your response.
> | Dumb questions
> | 1. How do I create the shell script and where do I place
>
> * Create and save the file;
> -------------------mybackup.cmd---------------------
> xcopy "E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents"
> \\pcname\C$\Data /e /v /y
> Substitute your username for "Administrator" and the destination
> computername for "pcname" (note: above command is all one line)
>

> | 2. How may I schedule this to occur at say 2 a.m evry morning
> * Use Task Scheduler to schedule mybackup.cmd Make sure you use a user
> account and password that has permissions to the resources.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Thanks again for your response. I tried the command and many variations
of it on the command prompt. It just does not properly.
I got one instance of the following command to work, only after
specifying the exact document type for filename Test

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Test.xls"
\\PCName\NewFolder

Repeating the same command did not work after that.
At other times it cant find the file or the directory or the path or even recognize the xcopy command. Completely frustrated. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks

kurb

Dave Patrick wrote:

>"kurb" wrote:
>| Thank you very much for your response.
>| Dumb questions
>| 1. How do I create the shell script and where do I place
>
>* Create and save the file;
>-------------------mybackup.cmd---------------------
>xcopy "E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents"
>\\pcname\C$\Data /e /v /y
>Substitute your username for "Administrator" and the destination
>computername for "pcname" (note: above command is all one line)
>

>| 2. How may I schedule this to occur at say 2 a.m evry morning
>* Use Task Scheduler to schedule mybackup.cmd Make sure you use a user
>account and password that has permissions to the resources.

Try;
Start|Run|cmd.exe
then paste in the line you're trying. If it fails then copy the command and
the error it returns with and paste in the body of a reply.

--

"kurb" wrote:
| Thanks again for your response. I tried the command and many variations
| of it on the command prompt. It just does not properly.
| I got one instance of the following command to work, only after
| specifying the exact document type for filename Test
|
| xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Test.xls"
| \\PCName\NewFolder
|
| Repeating the same command did not work after that.
| At other times it cant find the file or the directory or the path or even
recognize the xcopy command. Completely frustrated. What am I doing wrong??

| Thanks
|

| kurb

Thank you very much for replying

After rebooting everything I did eventually get it to work.

1. In order to reduce back-up times is it possible to copy over only
those files (in the destination folder) that need to be updated

2. To create the script I create a word document called
"MyDocumentsBackup.cmd" and save on the C-disk. The word document only
contains one line which is the xcopy statement:
xcopy "C:\............., and then schedule to run daily. Is this
correct?

3. What command do I use on the run/command prompt to execut this code.

Thanks for all the help

kurb

"kurb" wrote:
| Thank you very much for replying
|
| After rebooting everything I did eventually get it to work.
|
| 1. In order to reduce back-up times is it possible to copy over only
| those files (in the destination folder) that need to be updated
* Also append the /d switch to only overwrite where the source modified
date/time is newer than the destination modified date/time.

| 2. To create the script I create a word document called
| "MyDocumentsBackup.cmd" and save on the C-disk. The word document only
| contains one line which is the xcopy statement:
| xcopy "C:\............., and then schedule to run daily. Is this
| correct?
* Using word would probably cause you problems. Use notepad.exe

| 3. What command do I use on the run/command prompt to execut this code.
* The full path to 'MyDocumentsBackup.cmd'

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Thank you so much.
I have the script working fine now.
When I click on it, the backup works as it should.
However, the Scheduled Task operation does not seem to work.
I always get
Last Run Time: Never
Last Result: 0x0

Appreciate if you could give me any ideas

kurb

Dave Patrick wrote:

>"kurb" wrote:
>| Thank you very much for replying
>|
>| After rebooting everything I did eventually get it to work.
>|
>| 1. In order to reduce back-up times is it possible to copy over only
>| those files (in the destination folder) that need to be updated
>* Also append the /d switch to only overwrite where the source modified
>date/time is newer than the destination modified date/time.
>
>| 2. To create the script I create a word document called
>| "MyDocumentsBackup.cmd" and save on the C-disk. The word document only
>| contains one line which is the xcopy statement:
>| xcopy "C:\............., and then schedule to run daily. Is this
>| correct?
>* Using word would probably cause you problems. Use notepad.exe
>
>| 3. What command do I use on the run/command prompt to execut this code.
>* The full path to 'MyDocumentsBackup.cmd'

Scheduled Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide more details. Make sure the
user account has permissions to the resources. This article may also help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308558

--

"kurb" wrote:
| Thank you so much.
| I have the script working fine now.
| When I click on it, the backup works as it should.
| However, the Scheduled Task operation does not seem to work.
| I always get
| Last Run Time: Never
| Last Result: 0x0
|
| Appreciate if you could give me any ideas
|
| kurb

Thank you.

I found that the scheduled task worked fine and then stopped. This
happened after I changed my logon User password.

1. Is there any way I can get the scheduled task to keep on going even
though I may periodically change my logon password?

2. Is there any way I can get an automatic alert pop-up on my screen
when the scheduled task fails (ie. I dont want to check the Scheduled
Task utility every day to check up on this)

Thank you