Sign in with
Your question

Another First time build looking for feedback.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 2, 2006 10:14:49 PM

Hi,

Here is my first attempt to build my own pc. This will be used for general purpose family pc with all sort of use including some audio/vedio multimedia and maybe some light gaming. Here is what I got so far:

1. CPU - C2D E6700 (I know it may be a bit overkill, but I got it cheap)
2. Case: LIAN LI PC-V1000BPlus II Black $208
3.Mobo: Intel BOXD975XBXLKR $269.99
4. Video Card: eVGA 256 Geforce 7900GT $275.99
5. Memory: Patriot Signature DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) $189.99
6. PSU: SeaSonic S12-500 ATX12V 500W $129.99
7. HDD: eagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB $94.99
8. NEC 16X DVD+/-RW ND-3550A $29.25
9. Window XP Media $109.99

Please, provide your feedback on this build. Do you see any potential issue or mismatch.

Thanks

More about : time build feedback

September 3, 2006 1:24:43 AM

Looks good. Any reason for such a $$$ case? If it is noise, the Antec P180 is good at reducing that....

No compatability issues I can see. I know, though, that that particular motherboard doesn't OC very well, not sure if that is a corcern for you.

If you are doing light gaming, the 7600GT is a very capable card for around $100 less. I prefer the Samsung Lightscribe drive over that drive, IMHO...

That memory is 2GB, right?

No offense, but a FSP 350W has more amps on the 12V+ rail and is about a 1/3 of the price. I prefer this PSU:

Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550W

~Ibrahim~
September 3, 2006 5:44:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

For the case, read good things about it. Like the look and prefer something without front door. P180 is also possibility, maybe I will keep the door open.

Thanks for pointer on 7600GT.... Maybe without serious gaming this will be good for all other multimedia playing.

Yes, The RAM is 2GB.

Are you saying Seasonic is not a good choice? I will look other options. Trying to get a good PSU that will allow me to add components later.

As I mentioned, this is my first build, so any input is appreciated. Also, any pointer for helpful guides for the build. I am doing google searches and looking at this and other hardware sites. Found few helpful guides already but welcome more.

Thanks Again
Related resources
September 3, 2006 6:17:00 PM

techpowerup has a pretty good review withpics on building
a computer.
of course the 79gt is good and 76gt will save you around 100$
and will play games just fine <mediumsettings and some high settings>
a whole new line of cards will be coming out around the first of the year.
September 3, 2006 6:54:34 PM

Welcome!

Yeah, Lian-Li makes some very elegant and user-friendly cases, but they charge a gold penny for them.

yeah, the 7600GT is found in various heat-pipe versions = no noise.

2GB should be a standard, with Vista hobbling along.

Well, Seasonic is not a bad company, but the most important rail, the 12V+ who powers your CPU, GPU, fans, all drives, is somewhat lacking. Those components consume 80% of all power, I would say. You want at least 30A on the 12V.

A look at the power output:

Seasonic:

17+16=33A on the 12V Rail
Forumula for total wattage: A times xxV = W. Meaning times the amps by the number of the rail, in this case 12. So 33x12= 396W. Meaning you have just short of 400W to power your CPU, GPU, fans, and all drives. And it isn't a full 400W, most good PSUs have 75-80% efficiency. Total wattage after efficiency rating:

300-320W.

Antec:

18x3=54A on the 12V Rail.

So 54x12=648W

After efficiency rating:

487-520W

See the difference? You get 60% more watts for cheaper. You'll see that the NeoPower is slightly lacking in the 5V/3V. But these are not used for power hungry components, PCI devices I think...

PCSTATs is one of my favorite sites for DIY related stuff. Great mobo reviews.

~Ibrahim~
September 3, 2006 6:54:36 PM

change that NEC dvd-rw to a pinoneer 111d or better yet the benq 1650. They are more reliable then the NEC one and should cost only a couple more dollars.
September 3, 2006 8:55:18 PM

Thanks everyone.. Lot's of good pointer and some good feedback. Here is what I updated to..

1. CPU - C2D E6700 (I know it may be a bit overkill, but I got it cheap)
2. Case: LIAN LI PC-60BPLUSII Black Black $129.99
3.Mobo: Intel BOXD975XBXLKR $269.99
4. Video CardVGA 256-P2-N554-AX Geforce 7600GT $159.99
5. Memory: Patriot Signature DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) $189.99
6. PSU: Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W $119.99
7. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB $94.99
8. NEC 16X DVD+/-RW ND-3550A $29.25 Looking for BenQ 1650 as an alternate can’t find it yet online.
9. Window XP Media $109.99

Please, let me know if I am headed in the right direction. As for the Mobo, I am not looking to OC, but like a reliable stable one. As for the display, looking for Dell's 20" widescreen one.

Thanks!
September 3, 2006 9:03:44 PM

Looks good! I hate to throw another alternative, but I've had great success with this drive. Now I realize it has one review, but it is just a faster version of the one that I am using. The one I am using has 5 Eggs with nearly 400 reviews. This is just a faster version.

~Ibrahim~
September 3, 2006 9:12:46 PM

Good suggestion, Allways good to have components which are proven by real users. Also, I get lightsribe for free... not sure if I will use.. but good to have an option. Do I need FDD... maybe FDD with card-readers??

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks!!
September 3, 2006 9:50:45 PM

Yeah, Lightscribe is a useless feature that everbody wants. So if you ever need some vague and unidentifable characters lasered onto a CD, this can do it for you.

Floppy drives should die. They really need to. We have replaced them with the ever-useful USB Drive.

But, yeah, they are sometimes useful. You'll need one if you ever get into RAID and sometimes companies include drivers on just a floppy. Good investment, pretty cheap. Yeah, do try and find one with a card-reader. Card-readers are extremely useful. No need to find the camera cable, install the bloated-software, register this and that, install drivers, reboot, all that. Just plug in the card and your pretty much done!

~Ibrahim~
September 3, 2006 11:12:10 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

this is the one i am using and I have yet to see a coaster pop out of the drive. its like 2 dollars cheaper but no lightscribe.

pull out your FDD from an old computer to boot up and then just take it out when you decide everything is fine. That is what I did with my build because except to install RAID or maybe use memtest, you will never need to see that FDD ever ever ever again 8)

go to www.cdfreaks.com to find a review of w/e burner you are buying to get some more insight.
September 4, 2006 12:08:38 AM

Thanks.. Ibrahim and trixst4r for suggestions. I am sure both drives will do well. As for FDD... I may as well skip it for now. No plan for setting up RAID for now...
September 4, 2006 1:48:21 AM

Read good review of BenQ-1655 on cdrinfo.com... Leaning towards getting that.
September 4, 2006 11:31:17 PM

Quote:
Read good review of BenQ-1655 on cdrinfo.com... Leaning towards getting that.

ah the 1655 is the one with lightscribe, i believe the 1650 and 1655 are the same thing, just one with lightscribe. Get it if you want lightscribe, it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to spare a couple of more $.

I personally only settled to gettting the pioneer 111d because the 1650 was nowhere to be found at a reasonable price in my local shops.
September 10, 2006 7:48:59 PM

Hi,

I am back. Got the system put togather. (See details of the system in previous post). Everything powers up, but the system does not see the SATA HDD. The HDD is connected to Mobo and PSU. At power up it spins, but no HDD is detected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
September 10, 2006 9:29:00 PM

Hi again!

OK I got the BIOS to see the seagate HDD. I also formatted the HDD using seagate utilitiy. But now the Windows XP MCE does not detect the hard drive :(  It goes through initial hardware checks, but when I select to install XP (after the checks) it says there is no hardware detected :? Any pointer.
September 10, 2006 10:15:51 PM

Hmm...Check the jumpers on the Hard Drive. Are they set to "MASTER"?

Have you tried switching the SATA ports? Not power, but on the motherboard.

Have you checked out this guide yet?

Seagate: How To Install and Troubleshoot Serial ATA Hard Drives

Check with the guide, and try switching the cables. If the BIOS can see it, it should not be defective.

Good luck!

~Ibrahim~
September 10, 2006 10:42:40 PM

Quote:
Hi again!

OK I got the BIOS to see the seagate HDD. I also formatted the HDD using seagate utilitiy. But now the Windows XP MCE does not detect the hard drive :(  It goes through initial hardware checks, but when I select to install XP (after the checks) it says there is no hardware detected :? Any pointer.

Yes... you need to create a boot disk. You're using the Intel SATA controller thus you need the Intel SATA boot disk which can be found on Intel's website here.

Create a floppy disk with the Intel utility and when Windows setup is loading at the beginning it will ask you to press F6 to install a third party RAID/SCSI driver. PRess F6.. when the time comes.. put the floppy into the floppy drive.

Should work.. you probably created an Intel RAID array or you're running it in AHCI mode.
September 11, 2006 4:59:47 PM

Quote:
you probably created an Intel RAID array or you're running it in AHCI mode.

Right on :)  .... Well went and got a FDD, installed it then went through XP installed, and used F6 key to during install. Now it's all up.

Just when I was jumping up and down in joy... lo and behold... what's that noise :? hmmm.. I look inside and seems like couple of heatsink/Fan module's feet came loose from the mobo... well I try to put it back.. but somehow they wont go in. It was too late at this time. Will try again tonite.

Anyone..using Intel stock CPU fan that came with C2D seen issue attaching it to the mobo? Any pointer.. if these come out easily so I can try to re-attach them....

Well... the story of this first time build continues.....
!