Windows 2000 could not start

mikeh

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

My computer gets file missing or corrupt : WINNT/system32/config/system.

I have tried to repair but it will not. Can I reload Win2000 and that will
fix the problem?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi, Mike.

Yes, reinstalling Win2K from scratch should fix the problem. Of course,
that will wipe out your current Registry, requiring you to reinstall all
your applications, too. And you must not reformat your HD until you've
backed up any data.

But you might save yourself some work by reading this KB article:
Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing
or Corrupt: \Winnt\System32\Config\Systemced
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269075

(As it now says in the KB, the "ced" that sometimes appears at the end of
that error message is spurious.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"MIKEH" <MIKEH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer gets file missing or corrupt : WINNT/system32/config/system.
>
> I have tried to repair but it will not. Can I reload Win2000 and that
> will
> fix the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike