Possible Problem Green Lines/ but wait!

xxsicknessxx

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Alright.. im pretty good with comps, well I used to be.. I was into overclocking hardcore (water cooling) I loved it.. then I had to get a job.. long story short im getting back into computers.. and my comps not top of the line anymore lol... but still this shouldn't happen..

I set my bios setting to the Fast (ram settings and stuff) but the ram I have has been tested before hardcore.. its xms 3400 I think I have 1 gig of it to 512 sticks.. I have a geforce 6600gt... not the best I know.. and a 2100 xp... umm I noticed last night my comp was underclocked (forgot I did that along time ago) So I optimized setting to put it back up.. now when im playing rise of nations (legends) I get green flashy line and blocks on my screen (only sometimes) and only pretty far into the game.. if I simply minimize it and remaximize it they go away... My geforce is at 500 core/ 850 memory I underclocked it 50mhz to see if that would help... I have a kick ass powersuply 600watts... and my cpu is running from 55c-65c (forget if thats hot) my comps dusty .. so I also took the side case off..
Now from my Exp green lines are Always ram... can anyone verify that? and if it was my system ram it would just freeze as far as I know so IM assuming its got to be my vid card? maybe its just to hot in there for it? I have some old ramsinks I could stick on the card... anyone has any other ideas I missed let me know.. been along time sense ive been in a computer forum so if I forgot something sorry.. I did search for my problem first and so data on it.. but wanted a secound opion I think its either heat or the vid card ram..

Could it be anything else? should I test my vid card? in 3dmarks or something? or maybe memtest my ram ?

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
If it was system ram I wouldn't expect graphical artifacts - definately a video card issue, and I'd look to the ram first. Before doing anything else, I'd remove any excess dust from the inside of the case. After testing it (assuming that doesn't fix it) again, I'd underclock the gpu core and memory by at least 10%, and see if that changes anything. If that doesn't, try underclocking everything else, one thing at a time.

xxsicknessxx

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
shoot
no easy fix yet :(

weird underclocking not helping

Could setting my computer to Preformance settings in the bios of unwittenly overclocked my vidoe card somehow? I was just trying to fix the settings becasue My 2100 was running at a 1500 :p speed lol but if I put it back where it was I can't even play the game :( so how do I test this hmmpf my cpu is unlocked...

xxsicknessxx

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Well I tried a bit of everything.. and for now only starwars 2 battle front is giving me problems.. the entire screen gets green squares/ bars on it then sometimes red ones.. Ive noticed the heat sink on my vidoe card gets friken VERY hot is that normal? can't say that I touch the heatsink often.. im thinking maybe its breaking or way to full of dust... im prob gona replace it or add artic silver or something to it.. or maybe I should get a new vidoe card... is there a good one out thats decently priced?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Praformance settings would more likely turn things down. Quality settings would more then likely turn them up. sounds like your video card is the problem could have gotten clogged up. Your cpu is also hot i would get that thing cooled down as well. normaly if my system hits 45c i start to change stuff since it typicaly doesnt go over 40c. however cpus are rated to run at those temps i just like to keep my stuff cool.