NEED HELP: x850xt squares on screen/artifacts

rampage52

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
i just got a x850 xt and was working great for about 6 days and now it will not load windows and has square and bloches of color all over the screen. nothing has changed and no overclock, is there somethin wrong with the card. it need additional power to the card from a molex connector is this due to not enough power.

Need help anything is appreciated.

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Here's a funny thing I have the same problem as you. I have an HIS ATI X850XT. Sometimes while loading photos online or while playing online multiplayer games I find artifacts. Something tells me that the X800 lineup didn't last long because most of the cards came out defective. I think my card is defective too. It can be an issue with your drivers. Make sure your gpu drivers are up to date. Mine are and I'm still getting artifacts. List your pc specs so I can determine the problem. I doubt it is due to undervoltage because I have a 600W psu and I'm still getting the same problem as you. I'm thinking of switching over to NVIDIA gpu's. Here is a list of my specs:

Thermaltake Shark Case
AMD X2 4800+
1GB Corsair XMS RAM
Maxtor 200GB HDD
HIS ATI X850XT
Enermax Noisetaker 2 600W psu

rampage52

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
My pc specs are:

intel 775 3ghz 830 cpu 2 meg l2 cache
1 gig kingston ram
80 gig western digital hd
ati radeon x850 xt
380 watt ps

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
My Shappire X850XT was the same way... except mine only did it during intensive gaming (liked HL2 maxed out or Oblivion on medium).

It's probably just a bad card. I'd exchange it for a different one.

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
It's not your psu causing this problem because you have more than enough power. I think it's just a defective card. I e-mailed HIS, but still got no response on if i can exchange my card, I guess I'll just have to call them. You see this is what happens when you get cheap Chinese labor to make artificially highly priced products.

pcordes1979

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Can't say I've had the same problem with my personal X800 PCI-Express card but I know the Sager/Prostar/Alienware/Clevo laptop guys have tons of problems with a very similiar problems most likely stemming from overheating. Your card is definitly defective probably got a bad chip from the factory esp given that you just bought the card a week ago. I guess I got a card from a good batch as I also got lucky with my Antec Sonata II case which lots of people, including one of my brothers, have had the power supply that comes with it be DOA wheras I haven't had any problems with mine <g>. Like Vinny said just exchange the thing for a replacement, since a card shouldn't be bad after a week, even when stressing the heck out of it. - PC1979

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Actually, you could have a 1000 watt PSU and HAVE PROBLEMS!!! What kind of PSU are you using? If it's a generic, then most likely it can't supply enough amps to the card.

Wattage never matters; the amps per rail does.

EDIT: According to Newegg's specs on a PCI-E X850XT, the MINIMUM power supply needed is 350W. If you are using a lot of devices, perhaps you are taxing the PSU too much, in addition to low amps... If possible, test out the GPU on a friend's PC (with a better PSU) or something to make sure its the GPU

EDIT: Grammer

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
What are you talking about, 350 watts of power is more than enough for his rig. As long as he doesn't oc any of his components everthing will be fine. It's not a problem with the psu. The problem is because of a defective gpu. I have a 600W psu and I even get that problem.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
A used card, huh? Where did you get it from? I'm guessing if you bought it off of someone then they knew it was a bad card.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
To busygamer01:

What are you talking about, you completely disregarded the issue with amps. You also disregarded what I said about other devices in use that could potentially be maxing out his PSU. And you also disregarded that 350W is the MINIMUM, and he may or may not need more power. And you also disregarded the fact that that Pentium D 830 sucks up a TON of juice. And you disregarded the fact that he hasn't even named his PSU. And you also disregarded the fact that I was offering another POV based on the given information. For all we know, his PSU could be DEFICIENT, which caused the failure in the first place!!!!!

To Rampage52:

However, if it has been working and just crapped out on you, then I guess it's a bad video card. It should have a 3 year warranty so just hope you can RMA it to the manufacturer.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Aha, now that's interesting:

**Please double check this with your PSU specs.**

According to CoolerMaster website, the MAX continuous power is 350W!!! It seems that CoolerMaster is deceiving; on Newegg, the 430W model only supplies 400W continuous, 430W peak!

Check specs here

Also, by looking at pics, it mentions something about MAX 5.5V, 3.3V, and 12V at 330W and 5.5V and 3.3V MAX at 210W.

(And I don't know if this was an issue with older video card models, but the 12V line ONLY supplies 16 Amps...I do know that newer cards require at least 18 Amps... but maybe this isn't an issue.)

Please look at your actual PSU labeling and see what the MAX outputs are to see if your PSU is also an issue...

Honestly, you only have a 350W PSU, and although I do not know what the Pentium D uses, you could be maxing out... I read somewhere on these forums that undervoltage could kill your components...

sounds like time to RMA....
I once had an Asus geforce4 ti4200 do that to me...the new one has been good for years...i have had good luck with my last 2 ATI cards...one 9800 and one X850pro(flashed XT)

I think that your PSU should be ok.....but if you think its that...try to steal one from a friend......or test on another computer....i am leaning towards a bad ram chip....

Come on ram....thats x1900xt is crying for use........

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
You know, I never asked which model you were using (AGP or PCI-E). (Perhaps I missed that?)

But yes, you may need a special connector/adapter.

And have you check your PSU specs?

rampage52

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
can i rma it with a aftermartket heatsink fan, can i hook up another psu and run it right off of that one. what is the special connector for pcie cards

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
OK...well I'm a little suspicious of the PSU though... But that's me.

Anyways, if you're using the PCI-E model, look to the far right of this pic: Newegg Pics

EDIT: You will need to uninstall the aftermarket cooler and replace it with the stock cooler (they will never know; I did that last time with my graphics card).

EDIT: You will need a PSU that has a PCI-E connector in order to run that card. If a friend has one, by all means, try that out!

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
His pc uses about 300W of power, okay, which is more than enough with his 380W psu. Recalculate how many watts his pc uses. His psu has enough amperage to power his pc. It's called a defective gpu. The X800 lineup was filled with defective cards.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
hmm if it were me I would get some artic silver, remove the HSF, remove the old thermal paste useing a razorblade, and then a strong paper towel to polish it afterwords, use a light touch on the razor at a zero angle no need to take the 45 degree edge to it, then reapply the new thermal paste, replace the HSF, make sure it is tight, you want firm contact, having a loose HSF causes over heating, this should take care of it.

late

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Alright. I forgot about those PSU wattage calculators so its around that.

Well, if 16A is enough to power that X850XT, then I'll admit that I'm wrong then. It just doesn't hurt to know that that PSU is not the best.

In that case, rampage, just RMA the card and don't bother with trying another PSU.