I did a stupid thing with the Scythe Ninja....

I bought the Scythe Ninja to cool my E6600. I bought the MSI 975X Platinum mobo and this was all going to be installed into a Cooler Master Centurion 532 case. So far so good.

The MSI 975X Platinum doesn't come with a metal backplate. Okay, big deal the Scythe Ninja came with one. This is where I screwed up. While doing the install my mind wondered somewhere else, 'cause I peeled off the plastic film on the sticky side of the backplate, lined up the holes and plunked it down without a hitch.

Okay, so where did I screw up? I removed the plastic film. Because my mind wandered somewhere else the backplate is now more or less permanently attached. Fortunately there is nothing wrong with the motherboard otherwise I would have needed to buy another backplate to install the Ninja on another mobo.

Learn from my mistake, do not remove that plastic film... ever. Other than that one "mistake" my E6600 rig is up and running. Ready to be optimized, then overclocked.

FYI:
Removing the backplate is not impossible, but it is very difficult and will probably destroy the rubber adhesive. Do so only if absolutely necessary. It's done by using a hairdryer, a flathead screwdriver, and a lot of patience. I read a post some time ago that I took someone about an hour to remove the backplate without damaging the mobo.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Oh that sucks. Yeah as for me I never use any adhesive thing for my pc since I keep removing and installing components often. I have the Thermaltake Big Typhoon and good thing I have read some forums not to remove the adhesive pads so that it would be easy to remove and is still reusable. If you stick the pad, go ahead and remove it now with a hairdryer, since over a long period of time the adhesive/glue would become permanently dry and would not come off. Replace it with a foam which you can buy in hardware stores.

I thought it was just a piece of square 3mm thick rubber. :lol:
That's what I got on my SLK-900U backplate.

Why in the hell would they make it sticky?

Who knows?

It's not a major screw up so I'll just leave on. This rig should last me about three years. However, since my HPTC is "old and slow" I might upgrade that thing and drop in my E6600 and get a 45nm Wolfdale next year for my primary rig.

Funny thing is that I knew I should not have removed the plastic film, but I guess when my mind wandered off, I kinda went into an "automatic build" mode.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I did a stupid thing with the Scythe Ninja....
QFT.

And for any future users, you do not need a metal backplate for the Ninja. It works just fine with any plastic backplate I've seen that comes with motherboards.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
The MSI 975X Platinum didn't come with one.
Oh, don't I look like the jack ass then. :D Actually I probably shouldn't have made that comment, because I don't know what kind of setup 975/965 hsf's use. You said it didn't come with a metal plate so I assumed there was a plastic one there. [cheesy movie quote]Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups.[/cheesy movie quote]

I've heard though most have had good results using a hair dryer and alcohol to get that sucker off. I know Iwill used to supply backplates that came with an adhesive pad attached to them [cough]Yes I admit I even peeled the protective film off and stuck those babies on there.[/cough] :wink:

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
when i saw the topic i glanced at my own ninja and thought that the only stupid thing that could possibly be done is to uncap the heatpipes..
:lol:

actually u have to cut thru the rubber with a blade to remove it.. for some odd reason the tape is horribly powerful.

when i saw the topic i glanced at my own ninja and thought that the only stupid thing that could possibly be done is to uncap the heatpipes..
:lol:

actually u have to cut thru the rubber with a blade to remove it.. for some odd reason the tape is horribly powerful.

Nah, as I stated before, I'll just leave it on.

But it seems I have to reapply AS5 since Core Temp Beta 0.9.0.92 is reporting 56C when idle and 80C under load. So no other program seems to be able to provide the CPU temperature. The current version of Speed Fan doesn't support the 975X Platinum yet. And MBM 5 hasn't been updated for a long time.

The lower portion of the Ninja is very cool to the touch so that may confirm my suspicion that there is not a tight seal between the CPU & HSF.

You are supposed to remove the film and the backplate is supposed to be permantly attached...at what point are you ever going to use a heat sink that does not need a backplate? You did nothing wrong...

You are supposed to remove the film and the backplate is supposed to be permantly attached...at what point are you ever going to use a heat sink that does not need a backplate? You did nothing wrong...

Technically true, but if the mobo was defective, then it would have been a major problem.

Huh? How you figure that...if you RMA the mobo, you'll get the same one back, if not, just get another backplate...

Huh? How you figure that...if you RMA the mobo, you'll get the same one back, if not, just get another backplate...

You do not get the same exact mobo that you RMA, unless the company just didn't care and ship the same exact mobo right back to you. The backplate itself isn't that easy to find online.

I guess, everyone expereince is different, I've RMA'd and received the same mobo back, Tyan nonetheless...I've got about 6 or so backplates laying around that are not being used, if you ever need one...Also, I've seen them for sale at computer shows and even at some mom and pop retailers...hell, for that matter, just go up to the support counter at CompUSA and ask them to give you one for free!

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

You do not get the same exact mobo that you RMA, unless the company just didn't care and ship the same exact mobo right back to you. The backplate itself isn't that easy to find online.

I think you might be referring to me taking off my backplate of my TT Big Typhoon whihc was less than a month ago.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=195936&highlight=

Don't use a screwdriver or all those tracks on your mobo will come right off. I used a wooden clothespin to pry the thing open.

My suggestion is to actually just pour isopropyl on there and let it soak in and it might just rip off. The glue on the back of my TTBT was very sensitive to the isopropyl.

I actually emailed TT and told them the package never came with a foam piece. They said they are sending me a replacmetn but I have not seen it yet. Luckily i mounted mine using foam stuff you find on furniture to stop it from slipping/scrapping the floor.